Micro business to generate cotisations for healthcare cover

oldgit72

Up to now I have only been thinking of the disadvantages of private healthcare (less than 100% cover for certain illnesses and no cover for pre existing conditions) when considering becoming full time in France. Having read through postings on Micro enterprises it seems to me that this is an obvious way into the system AND gives early retirees a stake in French society rather than just sitting back enjoying the lifestyle. I would be interested to hear from people who may have gone down this route and whether setting up Chambre d'hotes/gites type businesses are acceptable in tems of generating the required cotisations or does one have to offer "additional services" (painting classes/cycle hire/guided walks etc etc). One area I have been thinking of looking at is growing fruit and/or nut trees. I have a spare hectare or two that is currently not in production other than for straw/hay and I quite like the idea of turning the land into something productive. As always, any info greatly appreciated, particularly from anyone who has been successful in going down the micro enterprise route to gain healthcare cover within the french state system.

What you suggest has always been an option, but has not really been viable due to the high level of cotisation payments in the start-up years. This has been eased through the creation of the 'regime micro social', on which the forthcoming autoentrepreneur regime is based.

I doubt if Chambres d'Hotes would be acceptable to the authorities as a sole business unless it was being done on a large enough scale to generate an income sufficient to live on, but classes or something similar might work. Don't forget that a micro business has to be registered in the same way as any other business, and you have to have the relevant qualifications and/or experience, plus professional insurances. The autoentrepreneur scheme will simplify the registration procedure, but the other caveats still apply.

No doubt if thousands of inactifs start small businesses just paying each other for a couple of hours work each month in order to get into the system, the authorities will promptly close that loophole.

I think the impact of the new auto-entrepreneur scheme will be greater than some people have implied. At a conference last week on the new regime, it was noted that the various public agencies had so far received 500,000 expressions of interest (that's 1 per of the French population) and prediced that there would be over 100,000 new enterprise creations under the scheme in the first quarter of 2009. The CFE's are hopefully gearing up for this onrush.

Regarding providing accommodation services, a document from the Government's small business service (DCASPL www.pme.gouv.fr) includes 'prestations d'hébergement' under one of the 'commerces' that would be eligible under the scheme, up to an annual turnover of 80,000 euros, along with 'achats/ventes, ventes à consommer sur place'. 'Hébergement' is specifically excluded from 'services' with the lower maximum turnover of 32,000 euros.  

Peter-Danton de ROUFFIGNAC www.francemediterraneanproperty.com

Thanks fo the reply. Not sure whether my interpretation is correct or not. From what I read "accomodation" is an acceptable commerce under the umberella of 'buying and selling' and therefore incurs the lower fixed tax/social payment  but not as "service" incurring the higher. I am therefore thinking that the "accomodation" referred to is something along the lines of estate agency/rental agency (ie income from commission) and not the provision of accomodation for rent (ie income from rental). What do you think?

[quote user="Will"]

What you suggest has always been an option, but has not really been viable due to the high level of cotisation payments in the start-up years. This has been eased through the creation of the 'regime micro social', on which the forthcoming autoentrepreneur regime is based.

I doubt if Chambres d'Hotes would be acceptable to the authorities as a sole business unless it was being done on a large enough scale to generate an income sufficient to live on, but classes or something similar might work. Don't forget that a micro business has to be registered in the same way as any other business, and you have to have the relevant qualifications and/or experience, plus professional insurances. The autoentrepreneur scheme will simplify the registration procedure, but the other caveats still apply.

No doubt if thousands of inactifs start small businesses just paying each other for a couple of hours work each month in order to get into the system, the authorities will promptly close that loophole.

[/quote]

I think you're right Will about people using the scheme to get around the healthcare issue. However, I think the French could encourage Brits who are in this position or who want to move to France but are put off by healthcare issues to start businesses that both help drive the French economy and get the newcomer to become a stakeholder in French society rather than a bystander who enjoys the lifestyle. I would certainly consider myself as aspirational to be in the latter category - hence my original posting.

[quote user="oldgit72"]

I think the French could encourage Brits who are in this position or who want to move to France but are put off by healthcare issues to start businesses that both help drive the French economy and get the newcomer to become a stakeholder in French society rather than a bystander who enjoys the lifestyle. I would certainly consider myself as aspirational to be in the latter category - hence my original posting.

[/quote]

Did you really mean that? Or did you mean "former"? [:D]

'Hébergement' is the provision of lodgings or accommodation, and is not a word used to describe rental agency services or anything to do with estate agency, which has been specifically ruled out of the auto-entrepreneur scheme (due to the need to be registered for VAT and of course have the necessary such qualifications such a business or law degree). And, Yes as a 'commerce' it would be subject to the lower deductions for social security/income tax and higher allowable rate of turnover.

Peter-Danton de ROUFFIGNAC

[quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="oldgit72"]

I think the French could encourage Brits who are in this position or who want to move to France but are put off by healthcare issues to start businesses that both help drive the French economy and get the newcomer to become a stakeholder in French society rather than a bystander who enjoys the lifestyle. I would certainly consider myself as aspirational to be in the latter category - hence my original posting.

[/quote]

Did you really mean that? Or did you mean "former"? [:D]
[/quote]

I suppose a bit of both but as I say aspirational to be the latter.

[quote user="P-D de Rouffignac"]

'Hébergement' is the provision of lodgings or accommodation, and is not a word used to describe rental agency services or anything to do with estate agency, which has been specifically ruled out of the auto-entrepreneur scheme (due to the need to be registered for VAT and of course have the necessary such qualifications such a business or law degree). And, Yes as a 'commerce' it would be subject to the lower deductions for social security/income tax and higher allowable rate of turnover.

Peter-Danton de ROUFFIGNAC

[/quote]

Thanks Peter for the constructive responses.