Autoentrepreneur - encore

Will

Auto-entrepreneur - Liberal professions

Yesterday M Hervé NOVELLI, the minister responsible, made a short televised statement that enabling legilsation has been drafted and will pass through the Senate and the Assembly 'during the course of February', allowing the inclusion of liberal professions under the scheme.

You can see his statement on the opening page of www.auto-entrepreneur.fr

Peter-Danton de ROUFFIGNAC MA LLM www.francemediterraneanprperty.com

Many thanks for keeping us up to speed Peter. My OH's application has been rejected due to this 'difficulty' over professions liberalles. I would say you couldn't make it up but of course you knew exactly what would happen !

Your posts are always authoritative and I'm sure many of us are very grateful for your tracking of this saga.

If you speak to URSSAF, they may be able to suggest an alternative caisse to CIPAV - that seems to be how Judie (see p2) managed to get her declaration processed successfully, and is now in business.

Maybe in her case it helped that she is also in a salaried position so is not relying entirely on the autoentrepreneur regime to meet her social security affiliations.

Hi, apologies if this has been covered before but with a full time job at the moment and two youngsters my research time is a bit limited!  Anyway my family and I are planning to move to France in March.  We are renting a place, initially for 6-8 months - possibly a bit longer (it's a long story - folk we know, open ended agreement).  In the meantime our house here will be rented out.  We need to test the waters re work etc to see if we can make a long term commitment to life there.  My OH is a builder so I understand that pretty much rules him out of the AE scheme - so he will have to register as a Micro-enterprise....correct?  However, initially I planned to try my hand at selling Usborne books and Pheonix cards - I would have a fairly low turnover, will be selling to hopefully schools, ex-pat get togethers etc.  I was hoping that I could register under AE so that we could be affiliated to the Healthcare system etc.  First of all would this affiliation cover my family (partner and two kids), and also what happens if in a certain period I make no sales.  What is the accounting period so to speak?  Is it monthly, quarterly?  When are you classed as inactive and if you are inactive (I think ErnieY raised this earlier on in this thread), would you know longer be covered under healthcare etc - in effect is there a minimum cottisation/tax payment that needs to be made to be "in the system" etc? 

Another option that we talked about is that I may look to get a 3 month IT contract back in the UK and commute/work from home.  I contract in IT at the moment and have my own Limited company - could I register under AE as an IT Consultant, but work for a UK company under this scheme? I am assuming that in the most case I would be paid in sterling in the UK for this work so I am guessing it would not work??

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer

Fi

How you stand if you declare an autoentrepreneur business, make very low payments (or no payments at all) and have no alternative health cover, e.g. through other work, retirement etc is one of several unanswered questions about the autoentrepreneur system. In the case of salaried work there is a certain minimum number of hours you have to work before getting health care, so it is likely that a minimum level will apply to this scheme.

There seems to be no reason why you cannot be a consultant under the scheme and invoice a Britsh company in sterling. If you actually carry out the work in UK though, the scheme would not be right for you.

An interesting article on the subject.

PS I still don't believe this:

"An official from the French Ministry of Finance has confirmed to us

that, provided there are at least some sales in a year, they will be

entitled to remain in the health system. Only those with no sales at

all over a twelve-month period would be excluded from auto-entrepreneur status."

Presumably, If I wanted to be a resident in France I could register as a 'Desalination Consultant' and bill my present employer on a monthly basis, becoming, in effect, self-employed. I also presume that I would then pay cotisations on my billed amounts, but not tax, as the income is received in a country that has a double taxation agreement with France.

Is there an upper limit on cotisations or is it a blanket percentage?