Autoentrepreneur - encore

Will

I think it unlikely that there will be an official English translation, but it is possible somebody might offer their own (there was one under way, at another site, of a previous guide to this regime).

There are references to the various forms etc being available from the www.lautoentrepreneur.fr site, but they do not appear to be there yet. No doubt this is where they will appear once issued, as it seems to be the definitive source of government information. There is a press release (in French) concerning the launch of the site a few days ago here: http://www.lautoentrepreneur.fr/images/Presse.pdf

There is an online form at the site that you can complete in order to register your interest and receive the documentation for the scheme as it is issued. Perhaps if they get a lot of English people registering they may offer an official translation...

[quote user="Cathy"]

Oh Punch, that has made me laugh.  So we are all going to be Arthur Daleys  (he was a "car contractor", wasn't he?).  [:D]

[/quote]

Cathy - Naa - I think the Arthur Daleys of this world were more suited to the old micro regime.  This new car contractor system is much more up market and way out of the league of even T.I.T.s ( Trotters independant trading ). Probably more suited to the middle class gite owner who wants to supplement their income when times are quiet and there are no part time gardening/cleaning/ house minding jobs left to do [:)]

Many thanx for the link, Albert. No matter how good I think my conversational French is it's never up to that sort of standard.  [8-)]

I think this new system will go a long way to stopping people from working in the black!!!

Cheers   Postie

Having read the translated version I'm quite surprised and not a little sceptical.

It is said that the very creation of a qualifying trading entity entitles one to affiliation to CMU irrespective of whether any trading has taken place or money made. I simply do not believe that can or would be allowed to happen. If it were so every inactif Brit could set up a nonsense no hope business, do absolutely nothing, yet still be affiliated to CMU.

Neither do I think it will stop the black workers. The majority of those operate in the building and allied trades which are effectively excluded from the scheme by virtue of the clause on p9 which say that for skilled trades (artisans) in construction persons running a business must be qualified, or supervised by a qualified person. The alternative 3 year requirement is a catch 22 gotcha because of course you cannot take advantage of this without admitting to having been working on the black for 3 or more years !

It's a very interesting development though and I think it could make a significant difference to the French economy which is renowned for stifling individual enterprise with burdensome bureaucracy and taxes.

On a quick look, the translation in the link provided by Albert is the earlier version of the guide. The new one goes into a bit more detail, and some of the things that were awaiting ratification have been passed. But the essence is the same. In fact in some respects the older version is easier to follow.

What is still lacking is detail about exactly how one declares oneself for the scheme. If you submit your details via the online form at www.lautoentrepreneur.fr you should be kept informed.

I tend to agree with what Ernie says, it probably won't stop many of those those working illegally, either through ignorance or greed. They have already had the opportunity to work under the simplified micro scheme and haven't taken that up, so I don't see this making a great deal of difference. And if it allows creation of 'sham' enterprises merely to gain cheap entry into the health system for those who would otherwise have to take out private insurances, that loophole will surely be closed. The basic principle is to give those already in the system, through being employed, retired, studying etc the opportunity to start a small part-time business - though I know a lot of people using this forum won't see it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks as though Tursday 18th December is the day! When M Hervé NOVELLI who has pioneered the auto-entrepreneur scheme will announce the final details in a conference at 12.30 pm.

They will be available on the French site www.auto-entrepreneur.fr and no doubt elsewhere soon after.

Peter-Danton de ROUFFIGNAC www.francemediterraneanproperty.com

Make sure you register on the website mentioned by Mortanais, this way you'll get up-dated when the auto entrepreneur scheme is live. They should send a copy of the AE kit.

Click on "obtenir des informations" and

you will receive up-dates by email, as well as the auto entrepreneur

kit when it comes out.

http://www.lautoentrepreneur.fr/formulaire.htm

• 5 weeks later...
Apperently there has been a lot of disappointment among people who tried to sign up as 'Profession libérale' on the 1st January, and found that on the bases of a "un décret d'application passé le 18 décembre 2008" their  proposed occupation is no longer eligible to register, despite the fact it seemed to be the month before.

A discussion of this (in French) on this Forum

Professions liberales related to services, such as consulting, private lessons, cleaning, etc can register under the auto entrepreneur. Others which are regulated such as nurses, lawyers, etc cannot. When declaring your activity on the official website www.lautoentrepreneur.fr click on "autres activites"

https://www.cfe.urssaf.fr/autoentrepreneur/CFE_Declaration

The problem, which has been explored widely on the www.auto-entrepreneur.fr website, is that many peole trying to register as services have found their application rejected as it was read as a 'profession libérale' - a wide definition that includes anything vaguely intellectual, and including both consultancy and teaching. The lists of services seem to concentrate on businesses like running a launderette.

Unfortunately the designated 'mutuelle' for part of the insurances required under the auto-entrepreneur scheme is CIPAV, which apparently has said it is not yet ready to accept new entrepreneurs under this scheme. Although liberal professions were decribed as coming within the AE scheme from 01 January in official websites as late as 18 December (together with a special reduced rate of cotisations at around 18%, against 'services' at 23%) the government announcement on 01 January stated - without explanation - that liberal profession were now excluded. Apparently there are now high level talks going on between CIPAV and the government to resolve the problem, that clearly should have been sorted out before the official launch.

The site quoted above cites numerous examples of applications rejected, though on this and other sites (French and English) some people report having successfully registered an intellectual activity. Some suggest you can retry under 'commerce' and it may slip through, but the situation is clearly confused, and one can only hope that the bureaucrats will get their act together as soon as possible.

My chief concern, expressed on this forum some months ago, was that the bureaucrats would mess it up. They have.

Peter-Danton de Rouffignac MA LLM www.francemediterraneanproperty.com