exercise classes

Chocolate

I would like to run my own exercise class. As a qualified dance teacher and a qualified fitness instructor I am interested in setting up a class/classes here in France. I am retired and in receipt of 2 small pensions, am a full-time French resident now and pay most of my taxes in France. I ran sucessful classes in England until it was necessary to concentrate on full-time employment.

Where can I find information on how to do this please. I want to work legally though I know many don't. Does it seem a good idea? A friend has set up a sucessful gite business this year and has found it very satisfying.

Is it worth the stress to charge for the classes or would it be better to charge a) enough for an amount for me plus the cost of the room plus the required taxes or b) just to cover costs and I teach for the personal enjoyment or c) confine the 'class' to friends and do not ask for payment of any sort?

In view of my pensions and the inevitable French paper-work nightmare, is it a bright idea or should I just keep myself fit? I have tried the only two classes available here in my part of the country and as an ex-professional was appalled by one and left stiff, cold and cramped by the other.

What is the general opinion please and if yes, how do I go about it?

This will be only one idea:

In my little town, there is a "Foyer Rural": it is a kind of community centre for retired people. It is incredibly active with  many groups (computers, English conversation, Macramé, atelier mémoire, jeux de société, danse de salon, randonnées, trips, meals, speakers giving conferences, etc... There are 2 keep fit classes (a mix between dynamic yoga, Pilates, etc.)  which are run by a retired physiotherapist, both classes have recently become oversubscribed so that there is now a third one - there were altogether over 70 people who wanted to attend!

My point is that the foyer rural is probably the most thriving organisation in the little town (6,500 people). Young and fit seniors are very active and very keen to enrol in classes - and presumably, it must be the same everywhere? (the town is quite run down otherwise, apart from the rugby club, the judo club, and the motor-cross)...

So there would appear to be quite a demand for the sort of thing you would be proposing - if you have such a foyer nearby, how about approaching them, and seeing whether they might be interested? It would certainly save you having to get involved in a paperwork nightmare to start with... even if later on, you prefer to run classes and groups for younger people as well. At least it would give you some contacts, especially if you are not in desperate need of reasonably paid work.