Pole Emploi

Mr Coeur de Lion

Ok, I have just signed on (I think), but now what? It keeps saying about a rendez vous with them and to bring documents with me, no problem with that.

Do they automatically contact me with a meeting or do I contact them to make one?

Their contact section on their web site is completely useless as it only provides addresses of their offices, no phone numbers or email addresses. So how you are supposed to contact them, I don't know, which leads me to think that they will contact me, otherwise surely they would have added better contact details.

Has anyone else been through this process?

Hello!

If you have registered online you should receive a phone call or a letter (or both as in my case last time I had to sign on) to tell you when and where your appointment is.  You'll have to go the nearest Pole Emploi office rather than having to go to both the Assedic and ANPE offices as used to be the case.

If it's your first registration you'll have probably need to take a copy of your passport and Carte Vitale, a RIB and your last year's worth of payslips. You should also take a CV.  You might then be called back for another interview or asked to attend a CV workshop etc.

In terms of contacting them, I think there is just the one number now:  3949 (free from land line I think).

Signing on is done monthly online.

Good luck with the process.

CBC65

I agree the contact section on their website is pointless![:D]

They will contact you in due course.

Make sure you enter a valid email add and keep an eye on your personal file. You should receive an email notification of any payment or appointment, although they also send occasional letters.

As a newly-registered chomeur, you are supposed to attend an interview within a defined time limit (6 weeks possibly...?) in order to be assessed. In reality, there are many interviews and relatively few of them trained in their own new system, so don't worry too much.

After that, they may contact you (by tel, email or post) if they think they have a vacancy which suits you. Again, there are many chomeurs and relatively few good jobs, so what they think suits you might not be the same as what you think suits you, but you have to follow up anyway.

As far as calling is concerned, the unique tel number is 3949. You will need the same codes used for your online personal file.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm really only after seasonal or short term contract stuff, either in restaurant trade or graphic design, whatever comes up really.

They won't be able to contact me by phone as I'm still in the US til Monday, so they'll have to write. But at least I've got the ball rolling.

Just want to work and bring some much needed euros in and get me out more.

Then I'll assess my future and see where I am supposed to be in this crazy world. Am at a crossroads in everything in my life right now. Interesting times ahead.

You should register with the temping agencies in your area (agences d'emploi intérimaire). They tend to have links with the local/regional industries and are probably more useful for short-term contracts.

You'll need CVs and ID photos and you should be prepared to badger them nicely on a very regular basis to remind them that you are available for work.

Don't be adverse to using smiles and charms where you think it might help.

You want them to think of you before they think of other candidates. So make sure they know you are keen (to work [;-)]).

Good luck [:)]