Average wage in your part of France

NormanH

There is a saying in my area that goes something like "I may have had to sell all of the land, the farmhouse that remains may soon be repossessed but I must have a bigger and newer tractor than my neighbour".

Never is this more noticeable than at Noel or plutot Nouvel An when the trolleys are overloaded with expensive food and drink in preparation for a week or more of abuse culminating in crises de foie for all concerned.

It seems to be a matter of pride to tell people how much you have paid for your oysters, and being Picards this must be done at the top of your voice to someone the other side of the car park so as to announce it to the world. 

I see that the recolt this year is down by 60% or so which would indicate a price rise of over 200% on an already crazily priced luxury, one thing I can be sure of is that it will be even more important than ever to be seen overindulging in oysters this year and to shout the price from the rooftops.

[quote user="Chancer"]

There is a saying in my area that goes something like "I may have had to sell all of the land, the farmhouse that remains may soon be repossessed but I must have a bigger and newer tractor than my neighbour".[/quote]

I never understood this here (and its certainly true) untill I found that there is some kind of tax/grant dodge that is actually quite profitable, to do with buying a new tractor and selling it before a certain time has passed.....I can't remember the details. My neighbours house is falling down around him, he has worn the same set of clothes every day since I have lived here with more patches holding the patches together and has to park his old car facing down hill to bump start it very time, Yet his tractors are spanking-new and get changed every year.[8-)]

I think it's more about the simple life than enjoying life without money. Money causes stress in relationships. When I used to work in finance in th UK so many couples seem to break up due to the stress of meeting mortgage/loan payments etc. IMO the simple life without overcomitting is the way to go.

Link worked for our area.

[quote user="Alpinemist"]

I think it's more about the simple life than enjoying life without money. Money causes stress in relationships. When I used to work in finance in th UK so many couples seem to break up due to the stress of meeting mortgage/loan payments etc. IMO the simple life without overcomitting is the way to go.

Link worked for our area.

[/quote]

Actually I think you will find it is lack of money which causes stress. I have yet to meet anyone where too much of it is a problem.

I guess if lack of money is the problem, then you have two choices, 1, earn more money, or 2, lower your expectations.

If you are of working age and living in France, I guess you only have the latter to choose.

Lies, Damned Lies and statistics; . . . I'm sure those receiving pensions and benefits are bound to declare accurately, and some of those working are probably declaring enough to avoid suspicion but . . . there does seem to be quite a lot of ''travail pour de l'argent'' which might affect the figures . . .

I personally found that not being able to increase your income if required very stressful.  I dont think living on less money stressed me out at all but knowing that if the chips were down and some huge bill came in there is very little within your control you can do to gain an income quickly was something that used to stress me out. The what if's are often the things that keep you awake at night!

I don't know about work in the USA, but with both of us having worked in France I can say, categorically, that working life in France can be extremely difficult and stressful.

Truthfully, I think the non-French are better off holidaying or retiring in France (though before anybody else mentions it dealing with CPAM and the like can often result in raised blood pressure for the early-retired). [:)]

The pay system in France is simply from 1948 and a complete fiasco and injust. L'anciennete, is disgusting.

Chancer said that people in their 20's will earn less, well ofcourse that is a 'truth', but who expects to get onto their maximum salary for their current position and grade, after 20 years of work or even longer. A huge difference between min and max salary to boot.

Most companies I worked for in the UK had me on max salary for my position and grade after a couple or three years.

PS The minimum wage in France used to be 'good', ofcourse there is no anciennete if you are on that, just rubbish pay every month!!