Interviews

Mozman

Does anyone have experience of interviews with French Companies. I am particularly interested in any formalities that should be observed and any nuances of difference from an average interview with a company in the UK.

Any help appreciated.

One thing I experienced was being told to 'Present yourself'...you have 15 minutes

You should have a rather formal self-presentation ready (in French) rather than depending on the sort of question and answer interview you find in the UK, though this may follow

Yes, you normally talk about yourself. I've done it and my son recently got two jobs offered in one days which is brilliant but he had to "present" himself both times and talk about his life,his aims and his likes etc. Hence the need to speak good french for anyone thinking they can come to France and get a job without the basic language skills,it won't work when others are also vying for the same job.

Thanks Val,

Did your son just talk through these aspects or did he have to do a formal presentation?

Also did the employer ask him to complete any tests. In England I have sometimes had to complete numerical and verbal reasoning tests. Although the jobs I have done in England have been in management.

Any other tips or hints would be welcome. I am writing to the interviewer for a bit more information on the format of the interview and process.

Hope your son is enjoying his job. Kind

Regards, Pete

No. He just spoke verbally.It is not a career job that he has got, just something in a Lycée to aid his studies for teaching.The principal though was like Alastair Sim in St.Trinians he said and very snooty. He must have done something right because two Lycées that day that he went for interviews at, both offered him the post for September. They did ask about his current holiday employers and questions on the company,any previous experiences etc. Luckily he has done all his education in France from Primaire to current Masters degree so french is really his first language although he was born in the UK.

By 'formal' I mean that you talk about yourself in a structured way for what seemed to me like a long time ( I was given 15 minutes) without questions or interruptions

A bit like a spoken version of the  old letter of application one used to send before forms ruled the day.