how expensive is furniture etc..

Raygraham

We were thinking of maybe selling our furniture here in the u.k rather than storing it, but was wondering if replacing it all in france (limousin) was going to work out more expensive, do you get auctions, second hand shops, antique fairs etc.. like you do over here.  any help would be greatly recieved,, Ray and Jo

If you bring nothing else, bring settees etc from the UK. I have never had anything like that here that is as good as those friends and family have bought in the UK and we have paid a lot here for the various ones we have bought over the years. I have many anecdotal things I could tell you, but the quality we have purchased here has never been as good and on one occassion we certainly paid a lot lot more.

I've bought furniture from 4 different brocantes in Limoges and the value is pretty good. I'd second teamed up on never seeing decent settees and we've ended up with a selection of comfy armchairs. I'm too tall to stretch out on a settee but t'other half does want us to bring one over from UK.

As for other furniture, we've bought bed frames, wardrobes and dining room furniture, most of which we've been pleased with.  

Look around. We found an absolutely excellent 3-seater leather settee (plain black) in But for about €600 - the company was going out of business because the stuff was too good to sell at But prices...

We bought our bed and other stuff from But and it's ok and not too expensive. Brocantes, Depots-vente and Trocs are good, too, but often silly prices.

Agree that good practical modern furniture is relatively easy to come by if you shop around, but I'd hang on to anything you have that could be classed, however vaguely, as an antique.  Depot ventes etc are full of hideous marble-topped tat at astronomic prices!

Chrissie

(81)

Thankyou all, so much for coming back to us, my husband is 6" 5 and needs a bit  more than an armchair to stretch out in,  we have also got 5 kids that love nothing more than a snoozle up in bed with us, we are definatley going to hang on to what weve got, sofa, beds an all...

I would take all the furniture you can over, as it can be very expensive to buy in France. The prices in BUT and Conforama are dearer than in the UK. Beds and Matteresses are especially very expensive.

If you like IKEA and there is one near you in France that could be an option.

White goods and household electrical are probably worth buying in France as they are around the same price and obviously will be easier to get fixed.

We took everything over most of it flat packed even where it had been previopusly assembled.

bob