Telephone / TV sockets - obligatory?

3141Castro

We are currently renovating our scruffy little farm into gites...

Our electrician informs us that it is obligatory to include Telephone and TV sockets within our electrical installation.

We werent planning on including this items, and at over 1000euros for the 3 gites, it would be nice to be able to scrub them off the plan...

Does anyone know if it is a must? he said that it is a new rule since 2003...

Have done a search - but cant find any info - any help appreciated..!

We have also been told we need Telephone/tv sockets.

The electrician has quoted for one in the living area and one in each of the 3 bedrooms for both gites! The amount seems to be 100 Euros for each room, but doesn't say anything about connection to France Telecom which presumably would add to the cost.

We have also been quoted  700 Euros for bathroom/WC ventillation systems. It all seems very expensive to me.

Does anyone else think prices have gone up?

You certainly don't have to have telephone and TV points in all rooms - we just told our electrician where we wanted them (no TV sockets upstairs) and that's what we got.

Can't understand why you need telephone sockets in gites - just say no!

VMC - again not obligatory but sensible to have it - no smelly rooms, no carbon monoxide poisoning etc. Sorry, can't remember what ours cost to install but I don't think it was anywhere near 700e. Again, we were asked where we wanted it and just opted for kitchen and bathrooms.

regards.....helen

I received a devis from an electrician this morning, he too states I must have TV and Tele sockets in all rooms.

He also states that I must have 4 sockets in each bedroom, 8 in the kitchen and another 8 in the salon.

I have been quoted 5000 euros to install electricity in a small 2 bed cottage.

Jeff - I think you need to get another devis. Those requirements are ridiculous. Our electrician is also our plumber. I can give you his number if you like and you can ask him the facts. He is an honest man and very up to date. He is in the Vaucluse, but I would imagine this is a country-wide issue. He is also extremely good at what he does. He never said anything about such requirements. Our work was done in 2002/2003. He completely re-wired our 260 m2 home and changed out all the plumbing. Your local Mairie may also have some advice on this or can point you to the right organization.

The VMC could easily cost you 700 euros as some of the better quality machines are expensive. Our first one cost 2000ff and that was in the early 1980's. And we have had to replace it and found that a good one was still expensive. Usually artisans would put in a better one, I would imagine. And that is one thing I really would want in any house I had.

Re the telephone sockets etc. Well I can see the logic of having them put in most rooms. Although, I'm not sure about tv sockets.

I can't imagine why phone sockets in every room would be obligatory. If you can dispense with the requirement, could I suggest wireless digital. I have a 5 phone set-up in UK from only the main socket coming into the house. I have the same in France with only the need for 2 phones - 1 in the living room and 1 in one of the bedrooms - either of them can be used outside by the pool etc.

The 5 phone system cost me £129 from Argos - a small fraction of what you are being quoted.

Doug