DRILLING HOLES THROUGH 2FT THICK WALLS ?

Dc

I had this problem when putting a 100mm pipe for a new loo and found that the mortar was as soft as butter, more like mud really. All I had to do was to remove the pointing which was quite hard but not very thick, rake out the mortar and remove a few blocks of stone. Made good with a sand cement mix afterwards. Don't know if this helps?............John in 79 

At the risk of sounding picky, it says on LF that you should use a lime mortar mix to allow the stones to breathe/move etc. Bags of cement/lime ready mixed are available or you can do as our roof guy did and just throw in handfuls of cement and lime from separate bags (gloves are for wimps !!).

HTH

John

Depends on how badly constructed the walls are to begin with as well. On our house we used one of our large Kango Drills with no problems,but on many clients properties we have found this to be too powerful as the walls in many cases just aren't upto a lot of drilling and it has to be done with hand tools to stop the interior "rubbish" collapsing and some of the really bad original construction stones in the wall. I wouldn't recommend a large power tool for someone who have never used one or dosn't know what they are doing either.

For copper pipe we used a power drill and a long drill bit, no problems, just keep both hands on the drill and back it off regularly.

For the soil vent pipe we kept the pipe inside and fitted an air admittance valve. The valve is normally a push fit into the top of the pipe and must be above the highest waste outlet. We bought one from Bricomarche for about 22 euros

The sink, basin, shower & bath waste pipes connect to the Soil vent pipe inside so no wall drilling required.

Tony

[quote]At the risk of sounding picky, it says on LF that you should use a lime mortar mix to allow the stones to breathe/move etc. Bags of cement/lime ready mixed are available or you can do as our roof guy ...[/quote]

Do you mean ready mixed bags of sand & lime?

Tony

"You should use a lime mortar mix to allow the stones to breathe/move etc."

I would agree with this but I don't think you want the stone to move around the pipe which might crack it if it moves a lot or frequently. I would have thought a hard cell around the pipe would protect it but then I am no construction expert...................John anxious to know more in 79 

[quote]At the risk of sounding picky, it says on LF that you should use a lime mortar mix to allow the stones to breathe/move etc. Bags of cement/lime ready mixed are available or you can do as our roof guy ...[/quote]

I might be wrong John (Iceni) but I think your mix should be SAND and lime, not cement and lime !  It's the cement that does the damage and is therefore replaced with lime.

Alfa.