Can anybody tell me who you look up in the pages jaune to do the unpleasant task of emptying a fosse septique?

We have been trying to extinguish the source of unpleasant odour for a year and trying all the hints and tips given on the forum only to be told by our neighbour that he couldnt remember it ever being emptied in the last 20 years.

Maybe I need to look up 'strong stomachs'

[quote]Can anybody tell me who you look up in the pages jaune to do the unpleasant task of emptying a fosse septique? We have been trying to extinguish the source of unpleasant odour for a year and trying a...[/quote]

In the U.K. we were on a sesspit and so was our neighbour. One of the 'honey bucket' Trucks came round to empty next doors s/pit and it had a wonderful sign on the back. Please don't pull the thread, but it read "It may be your sh!t, but it's my bread and butter"

On the odd occasion that the guy used to empty ours we offered him a cuppa and was quite happy to stand, big tube in one hand directing it to collect, but leave a nice crust and cuppa in the other. No fitter bloke on this earth... I must admit that I would stand up wind!

John.

Wonderful stuff

I have trawled the Pages Jaune under vidange thanks to previous replies and found one called 'Allo le Petit Vidangeur' (Hello, little drainer?!)  Seems like the most embarrassing job to have done right outside your house, a bit like having your catheter bag emptied in public, but in this case its the catheter bag of I dont know how many previous owners.

It is all arranged now for next week and I am tempted to stand outside with a banner saying 'its not mine' (in french of course).  If anybody has any idea of how much roughly this drainage is going to cost that could save me further embarrassment.  The thought of not having enough euros and what they might then do with what they have drained doesnt bear thinking about

I have no idea of the size of the fosse for costing purposes having inherited it a year ago but its a two bedroomed house so I guess its not big especially if it was put in donkeys years ago.

[quote]Can anybody tell me who you look up in the pages jaune to do the unpleasant task of emptying a fosse septique? We have been trying to extinguish the source of unpleasant odour for a year and trying a...[/quote]

Have you tried using one of those pumps you get with those petrol heaters!?

We had ours emptied this year as our neighbour had rented his place out and one of the guests had put a plastic wrapper down the loo which then blocked it up. This resulted in his kitchen getting flooded - nice!! There always has to be someone who takes no notice of the warnings of what not to put down the loo.!

We called out the local fosse man with his pump, who was very nice. What we could not believe was when after the pump had done its job, he then jumped down inside the tank and then reappeared very pleased with himself holding the offending piece of plastic in his hand. 

Jax

I'll tell you a funny story................................

We have a house in 87 that we are renovating and we are in the fortunate position to have mains drainage now. However there was an old concrete fosse in what we intend to turn into the kitchen. we've found a great builder and he is commencing work shortly on the structural stuff.

However a couple of weeks ago he phoned up to say that he had a spare day and could he make a start on demolishing the fosse. As this is in an attached outbuilding that is not locked we gave him the go-ahead.

The fosse stands about 2 feet off the ground and was in excess of 6 feet tall. The builder took a kango to it and the result was that he was covered in the proverbial! The builder did not check that it was empty before he started the demolition.  Apparently his wife wasn't too chuffed about the washing and I got a bill of approximately €300 for the drainage of the fosse before work could continue.

OOPS! Stinky Poo!!

A couple of years ago we had friends stay (we were not there at the time), someone blocked the loo and to this day noone has owned up to it. In their infinate wisdom they thought if some of the liquid was taken out of the fosse it would help. My friend had herself lowered down into the abyss by her ankles armed with a bucket and was scooping it out, as you can imagine this caused much amuzement in the village.

All they had to do was call a plumber - no problem with the tank itself.

Jax