white undercoat!

Isobel

I assume you mean for wood. If you have found something called 'sous-couche' you've got the right stuff. I find undercoat, and primer, hard to find as well although they do exist in small tins on the lowest shelf of some DIY shops. Julian is a brand that comes to mind. I have never worked out what the French do with a new piece of timber but their top coat seems to stick just as well.

This is one of the few items that I make sure I have a supply from the UK, particularly the quick drying kind!

Liz (29)

Welcome to the world of French paint!  You've probably got the right stuff, but it is like painting with milk.  It is rubbish, if you can try and get some from the UK - better quality and cheaper.  As for mono-couche, substitute the word mono for trois or quatre and you then have an idea.

The only sort of decent stuff is Dulux Valentin, but it is pricey.

Good luck

Deby

Your profile doesn't say where you are, Isobel, so I don't know if bringing paint out to France is an option for you, but if it is I would recommend it. We gave up on monocouche very quickly (ours was certainly quatre-couches like Deby's) when I couldn't get anything like an even coverage simply because it was so thin and watery. I've been pretty unhappy with gloss, as well, especially drying times. UK paint is better, cheaper and easier (drying times and water-washing brushes) If you are resident, however, you may be stuck with it.

I had the same trouble finding it.  Seemed to have vanished overnight.  Ended up with Julien but it isn't marked sous-couche.  Painture blanche Multi-usages.  It can be used as an undercoat though.

Yesterday, I bought a sous couche for bois from Leroy Merlin.

Both of them are quite thick and cover well.

YOU NEED TO LET US KNOW WHAT SURFACE YOU ARE PAINTING-AND WHETHER IT IS NEW UNPAINTED OR  ALREADY PAINTED AND YOU WANT TO CHANGE COLOR.

WITH THIS INFO .PERHAPS I CAN GIVE YOU SUITABLE ADVICE.IWAS IN THE PAINT INDUSTRY ALL MY LIFE.

REGARDS

Whilst on this topic, can anyone tell me what is the name of the paint that the French put on their doors and woodwork?   Ideally we would like gloss as in England, but since we shall no doubt wish to sell one day, we think it would be sensible to do as the French do.  

Many thanks.