Central Heating advise please

thethomases

[quote]I think that the figures about fuel efficiency are very old from the French government site – I have run some numbers on a spreadsheet and it seems that the cost of fioul vs propane / butane is only a...[/quote]

!4/ltr's min.you've answered your own question,a decent shower use's 20 ltr's/min.You need at least 1,5 bar pressure and 20litres per min flow rate,at these values outlet flow rates will be poor if several outlets are used simultaneously. So back to your spreadsheets and happy thinking.

Thanks for replies.  I'd seriously question 20L per minute for a decent shower though.  I've got a 30L electric ballon that lasts for 5-6 mins at 40'c.  It's not so powerful that it blows you across the shower floor, but its not bad - a perfectly fine shower.  20L per minute seems a bit OTT.

FYI - the spreadsheet was for energy cost calcuations for the 3 types of energy I mentioned, not for plumbing flow rates or combi boiler selections.  That's why I posted here to ask about that. 

[quote]Thanks for replies. I'd seriously question 20L per minute for a decent shower though. I've got a 30L electric ballon that lasts for 5-6 mins at 40'c. It's not so powerful that it blows you across t...[/quote]

Minimum pressure of 1metre true head will give 11ltrs/min for most dual and single control thermostatic showers.Layman terms thats on gravity systems.Pressurised systems it can go above 20ltrs/min[thats why flow restricters are sometimes installed]. 14 ltrs/min is not enough water for combi boilers in multi  shower/bathroom standard house. In other words if your having a shower and somebody turns a kitchen tap on and the washing machine is working etc etc the safety controls on the boiler could shut down ie no hot water because of  low pressure. I have replied to the original question you asked, not on what shower or system you have in your house or combi boiler selections.Have a good day.[I thought J R Heartley was now interned]. have'nt seen him in any book shops lately or is that the one without the e in his name.

Our cottage is quite small, only three rooms. But last Winter we only needed our oil fired boiler on about half capacity. It was quite a mild Winter, and we didn't need to light the fire at all, but we only used 1000 litres all Winter even though the system was on day and night. I would recommend it. It cost us about 400 euros, but will probably have gone up this Winter. The whole system cost us about 2,000 euros, rads and all, but we didn't have to buy a tank, which I think are about another 350 euros. It's an Italian boiler.

Hi All

Reading through this thread is revealing, there are many different solutions to the question of central heating, and just as many opinions!  For some real information on Geothermal see www.greenspot.biz this irish based company is successful in installing geothermal systems across the UK and can offer  DiY install kits at very reasonable prices. 

Regards

David   

Reading all of this about geothermal is getting me hooked. In my situation its the boiler that needs to be replaced anyway ?

Two question then ?

1) As this is renewable does it attract grant-aid in France ?

2) Can anybody recommend a plumber in 66 that would work with me on such a project ?

Thanks in advance.

I believe it would. the organisation you need to check with is ADEME. If have web site, etc. somewhere. There is a national organisation and regional branches. I have been talking to them with regard to micro-hydroelectric.

If you have problems finding them, let me know and I'll try and turn out the info.

You certainly should get financial assistance from them (but I'm not sure about residency requirements, etc., on-going obligations, what happens if you sell the property.)

I know that for Micro-Hydro I get 70% of the feasibility study, 50% of the technical design and 20% of the installation costs (though am unsure of that includes labour and equipment or just equipment).

Thanks I will pursue it relentlessly !  Though I am now also worrying about other issues.

My property is in a co-propriete. I have 45 sq metres of terraces (not much cop for a heat pump) and about 15-25 sq m of solid land that is mine. Outside of that is 16 ha, but within the co-prop ! I have read of vertical 'collecters' but wait to see what the experts will say.

Someday I will research the archives and then possibly launch a thread/thesis about the perils of living in a co-prop. Another time.

Cheers