Power Showers

Mutts

Is it possible to buy an ordinary standard power shower in France? Preferably one that can be plumbed in/wired up for a year or two, then removed and put in the new bathroom as and when! Hubby has experience with plumbing and wiring so is it okay for him to fit - he's not qualified as an electrician or plumber, but knows enough to fit this kind of shower in the UK.

Anything complicated I should know?

Thanks....Linda

Dear Linda,

UK type power showers do not exist in France.

Hot and cold water supply to the shower mixer is supplied at mains pressure via a suitable pressure reducer.

Use the money saved over a UK unit to buy a good quality thermostatic mixer - makes such as Grohe or Hansgrohe.

You will find a better range and better prices at a decent plumbing supplier. To find one in your area of France look at www.gapsa.fr.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply. Can you suggest a quick fix to our problem? We have mains water heated by "instant" gaz. The current shower runs at a dribble when hot (usually too hot) and if the cold on the the mixer taps is added, runs cold.

At some stage the house needs to be modernised/renovated,  but we're loathe to jump to "quick fix" solutions. Meantime, we just want a decent shower!

Any ideas?

Best wishes

Linda

Power showers are usually used to get a good drenching when the water pressure is inadequate, as is often the case in the UK where the water is delivered from a tank in the attic. This kind of problem doesn't arise in France because the water isn't stored on the premises but is powered by the mains pressure. In your case the problem is the gas water heater which is only capable of a restricted output, and it is that that is producing the symptomatic poor flow at the shower-head. The easiest way to solve the problem is to replace the gas heater with a French style Electric Chauffe Eau. This shouldn't be too expensive, especially if it could be located where the deficient gas heater is.

I well remember using our inherited shower which would instantly switch from just about OK, to freezing cold if someone drew hot water elsewhere in the house. The gas heater was soon down the tip!.

I suppose you could go for a UK style Electric Shower but they are fairly rare in France and you will almost certainly have to increase the power rating of your EdF supply, otherwise the shower will  either not work at all, or will plunge you into total darkness from time to time...

[quote]Hi Bob Thanks for your reply. Can you suggest a quick fix to our problem? We have mains water heated by "instant" gaz. The current shower runs at a dribble when hot (usually too hot) and if the cold ...[/quote]

Depending on the type of shower most of them have strainers/filters incorporated in the body, strip it down and check they are clear, its probably silted up on the hot inlet.allso check the shower spray rose for limescale.if there is inline  check/nonreturn valves on the pipework check the hot one is functioning.You say that its mains water by instant gaz but its a vague description of the system for anybody to understand to help!.

Thanks again for the replies and sorry to be so vague. In the end I suspect our decision re water supply will depend upon costs of power.

We have the alternatives of installing an electric system or renewing the existing tank gas water heater with a modern system. How can I calculate comparative costs?

Our electric supply is based on two meters - and as far as I know we haven't got off-peak, but it's all bit difficult to work out as we haven't had a bill yet so can't work out our tarrif.

So being vague (again) can anyone tell me the cheapest way to heat water.....(tank) gas or electric?

Best wishes

Linda

"Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply. Can you suggest a quick fix to our problem? We have mains water heated by "instant" gaz. The current shower runs at a dribble when hot (usually too hot) and if the cold on the the mixer taps is added, runs cold."

Dear Linda,

Gas water heaters are generally useless. I have removed a number from properties during restoration work - the flow that the can deliver is very poor.

As somebody else has posted, your best solution is to replace it with a chauffe-eau. Spend a little extra on on a steatite model rather than the cheap models that are promoted by the 'bricos'.

When things progress with your work you can easily drain it down and relocate it.

Under no circumstances consider fitting a UK instant electric shower. I understand from our electrician (English and registered in France for 20 years) that these are illegal as they do not conform to French norms.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux