My first devis - smile, take a deep breath and move on

Mike1958

As someone who understands the drivers of market demand vs the price you pay, I was extremely amused to receive a devis in the post today from a plumber that I have come to know.

Preferring to use local artisans, and build up a relationship that hopefully would be long term I am disappointed to say that as a result of my first real venture into having some work done in France I am beginning to wonder whether this is the right approach.

I requested a price for a gas connection to be routed from my boiler room where i have a gas boiler, into my kitchen for a gas cooker. The boiler room and kitchen are adjoining with no more than a 3 metre run of piping required. I know that a new air brick will be needed to aid the ventilation and that purging and reconnecting the gas supply will be necessary.

The quote for the work came to over 1000 euro's.

Next steps - smile, take a deep breath and move on by looking for quotes from other local plumbers. This is the beginning of a challenging yet hopefully rewarding few months for us, where hopefully in the end we will find local tradesman that are both fair and trustworthy.

I recently had a quote for re-piping and re-hanging two radiators to allow for dry lining. It came to €1500 + VAT which included more than €1000 for labour.

I finally had the job done by a different plumber. It took him one day and he charged by the hour giving a total of €362 including materials.

Moral: always get at least three quotes for any job.