window locks

Gwenhwyfar

Any advice? - our windows are centre opening inward with a 'turn handle' and metal rod through the middle - my 3 yr old has discovered that she can open them We use the shutters so we don't want to put bars across them. Is it possible to get some sort of locks for them?

• 2 weeks later...
We have exactly the same problem and new locks are the first thing on our to do list next time we're at our house. My daughter (2) has no fear and doesn't think twice about climbing/running/jumping as far and as high as she possibly can. Needless to say my nerves in shreds !

Emma

[quote]Any advice? - our windows are centre opening inward with a 'turn handle' and metal rod through the middle - my 3 yr old has discovered that she can open them We use the shutters so we don't want to...[/quote]

All i have done is to drill a hole through the lever rod just above the turn handle and put a thumb screw in.Its for extra security when the house is shut when we come back to gods country.

Hi Emma - isn't it a nightmare having a "monkey child", my other two didn't climb but this little one ... I can't keep clothes or shoes on her never mind stop her from climbing!

Thanks for the reply Michael that's an idea, still trying to think of something that's not such a pain when we open/close the shutters.

Gods country? you must be Welsh then

"All i have done is to drill a hole through the lever rod just above the turn handle and put a thumb screw in.Its for extra security when the house is shut when we come back to gods country."

"We found some good window locks at LaPeyre. They replace the normal turning handle which secures the window, and have a lock and key. Very easy to install - simple replacement of one for another."

Gwen,

What type of windows and locks do you have? If they are double-glazed units then the locking mechanism will be integral within the window and frame and any vertical locking bars are purely decorative. If they are older single-glazed units then turning the handle will cause the top and bottom vertical bars to move up and down and lock into sockets on the frame. If this is the case then the reply from Michael is probably your easiest solution.

I have produced another solution for clients which is fairly easy to do but involves drilling a small hole into the lower vertical bar, tapping a thread and fitting an allen-key head setscrew. Completely unobtrusive and quick to lock and unlock with an allen key.

Lapeyre no longer produce traditional vertical bar locking systems - crémones. For their double-glazed windows they produce standard and locking handles as mentioned by Lurcher 21. They also produce crémones décorative which are false non-functioning vertical bar locking systems for their double- glazed windows.

Cannot really comment on Leroy Merlin - I do not use them - their website seems to have a limited range of windows but strangely no handles for them - but then I may well be looking in the wrong place!

If you would like any more advice on the locking method that I use then pleae e-mail me directly at the address in my profile.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux