Is permission needed? + 170 sq m rule

essancee

No joy with an archive search, so can anyone tell me if we need any type of permission to dig out our floor ( terra cotta tiles laid on earth) , install a dampproof membrane and  then lay a concrete floor?

Also - sorry to be thick, but this 170sq m rule, above which you need an Architect to draw and submit plans. Is the 170sq m in addition to existing habitable space, or do you have to deduct what is already there ?

i.e. if we have 50sq m of "liveable" space,  can  we have a further 120sq m, without needing an Architect. Might need to add that we would be gaining this extra space by converting an attached Bread Oven Room.

Apologies to those who have doubtless answered this a million times before.

C.

No you do not need permission to do anything to your floors. You only need permission for extending your living area,putting in larger windows and making new openings and changing the outside appearance of the property or a change of use from agricultural/garage building into domestic use.

a question for Val. Sorry to but in but regarding change of use from agricultural/garage building into domestic use as mentioned, i wondered if you might know the usual route to gain this change of status. We dont need to make any external changes to the barn which has a CU. The front of the barn which was previously open has been bricked up, from memory, just using a simple permit (de trauvaux?) as we needed to keep our tools safe last year. The old owner previously lived in a work shop type room in the barn but at the time it didnt even have a CU which was applied for as part of our purchase. The only changes now will be interior. i just wonderd if there is a  permit for change of status without any building work.

Best Regards

Helen

You don't need permission to change your floors, but you need a full Permis de Construire if you are changing the use of a space. For example if you concrete a barn or cow-shed to change from storage to habitation. In effect anything that creates habitable space will neeed a PdC and its needed PdQ.