Wall cupboards on plasterboard

zeb

There was a query sometime ago about the best/safest way to hang kitchen wall cupboards on plasterboard.

We have just bought and hung our cupboards (when we did the rest of the kitchen they were out of stock) and found that the fixings supplied are metal hooks and sockets so, as long as you use mollies to fix the metal bracket to the wall, the cupboard is securely hung and there isn't really the need to strengthen behind the plasterboard (as we already had). Unless of course you are going to store exceptionally heavy items in the cupboards!!

Apologies if you already knew this but I haven't bought kitchen wall cupboards for years and when I did they were just fixed to the wall with a screw (and rawl plug) in each corner.

[quote]OK, I give up, what are mollies? Graham[/quote]

"Mollies" are a brand name for the aluminium fixings which a put through a hole in a plasterboard wall then tightend either with a screw pulling on a nut or with a pliers which resemble a rivetting gun. This causes 4 arms to spread the load on the wall.

Also 17th century agrot for male gays which caused me a moment of surreal confusion when I read the original posting. Visions of Julien and Sandy holding cupbords till glue set.