Another Declaration de Travaux question - just to be safe

Mike1958

We have recently taken a local plumber on board to renovate and bring up to date our bathrooms. This will entail installing new showers, new WC's (where we used to have Bidet's) redecorating etc but not altering windows.

My assumption is that for this type of work we do no need any form of permission or the need to post a Declaration de Travaux.

Any advice would be welcome,

Regards,

Mike

www.peak-times.com

Hi,

I agree with Deimos, I don't think you need to get a Déclaration de Travaux.

However, your plumber should certainly know, and it costs nothing to ask at the Mairie. I certainly would, if only so that they don't feel all left out and unloved!

Many of the posts on this Forum indicate that, in France, interpretation of the rules varies not just from dept to dept but from commune to commune.

Why then do posters seem to believe that asking other immigrants/second home owners scattered across the country is a better way to find out critical info on planning etc than asking them what really knows, their own maire or DDE ?

Bemused John

not

[quote]Many of the posts on this Forum indicate that, in France, interpretation of the rules varies not just from dept to dept but from commune to commune. Why then do posters seem to believe that asking ot...[/quote]

Certainly interpretations vary in different communes (my French architect said that). However, there can also be benefits from asking on forums, maybe not to get definitive answers but to help in other ways. For me, I find responses (to these types of questions) on such forums useful for:

a. Being aware of the issues and terms (e.g. Declaration de Traveaux) and the differences and what they mean helps me understand what is being said by others (as I have limited language skills).

b. I have seen it said (and again a French architect has commented as well) that asking fro permission for something that you do not need permission for can complicate things a lot, particularly if it is in the “marginal” or interpretation areas. I would guess how true this is would depend on the nature of your local Marie(s). I have two (my house sits across the border between two communes) and each of the Maries has have very different “characters”. I would expect that the DDE is less prone to such things (though have no experience).

Whilst the question was in regard to a specific situation, being an open forum the ensuing discussion can help make others aware of rules and regulations.

I would agree with Iceni that responses posted to such questions do not provide definitive answers but might provide guidance and help in other ways.

As ever with this forum the responses are varied and generally gratefully accepted.

In line with the comments Deimos has made I agree that (for me in particular) the purpose of the forum is to share experiences and hopefully provide those (like myself) who are just entering into or thinking of taking the plunge with a new life in France with general guidance and advice to assist them along whatever path they are trying to take.

With the exception of a few who seem to enjoy the heights that thier soap box provides them, I have found most respondees comments informative and helpful.

Many thanks once again.

Mike

www.peak-times.com

Hi

As I understand it you can do more or less anything INSIDE your house without a Declaration de Travaux.  It's only if it affects the outside - ie altering doors/windows/external walls/roof that you need to complete the form.

Regards, Diana

No, you do not need to inform anyone if you are upgrading bathrooms which are already there.

And who knows, if your house is old and has had conversions done, it may not be a good idea to draw attention to it, as many people don't include all their proposed bathrooms/en suites etc in their planning applications! (I wonder why!)

I would agree with the comment that you should tell the Mairie. If it is anything like our village (61) the Maire will find out anyway. Much better that he/she finds out from you than a curtain twitching neighbour. Mind you, when I asked the Maire (or rather his secretary) if I needed either a DdeT or PdeC to change a door into a window, the answer was "Neither just go ahead and do it" !

[quote]I would agree with the comment that you should tell the Mairie. If it is anything like our village (61) the Maire will find out anyway. Much better that he/she finds out from you than a curtain twit...[/quote]

Hi Tony,

Exactly!!! Because it's perfectly possible that the neighbour will get the story wrong too!

Like it or n ot, we live in France and it's intelligent to be meticulous.