Engaging a geometre

patis

We are in the process of buying a property and want to have the land clearly marked out. We have got a local agent to find a quote for us for a geometre which is around 1800 euro to define the boundaries of about 4 hectares. Does this sound like a reasonable deal?

I did not bother about having our land measured as I had the maps from hte Marie and we are surounded by woods anyway. Who cares where the bouderies are. If you are about to move here then have a look at the latest post on my blog, I have just done a brief description on what may be good to know before you move. Used with this forum to get more detailed information, it could help.

Lots of people may care where the boundaries are - if not to put up a fence, just to know what is theirs. We too are surrounded by woods and although the edges seem clear woodland expands with time and it can be hard to work out where the true boundary is. We also went with the map from the Mairie which is really useful but dated - an old public footpath running through the property on the map is still there today but has changed course. We only realised because we found the cart tracks of the old road whilst clearing the forest. We are fortunate in that surrounding neighbours have employed geometres to establish their property lines, so ours has been pretty much marked out by them. Woodland is great but what's not yours is someone else's and they can always sell on to someone who wants to build and clear the forest, marking it up to the last centimetre!

Apologies I cannot help eith the original post, but I do think it is worth doing for piece of mind, if the cost is reasonable.

Jane

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

We are fortunate in that surrounding neighbours have employed geometres to establish their property lines, so ours has been pretty much marked out by them.[/quote]

We had the same situation. The boundaries were/are marked by bright red plastc markers, about 2 foot high. They are buried in the ground (attatched to concrete I would guess).

This may not be of any use to the OP, (sorry Patis) but anyone looking at properties should look out for them, as their absence can mean an additional cost that they may not have anticipated.

Other 'posters' are quite right - you need another quote or two.

However, gut reaction for 4 hectares is 2 days field work for 2 people + time to draw it up properly. Let's say 5 man days minimum for professionally qualified people. Thus €360 / man day.

Doesn't seem wildly out of court at all.