Horrible flying lazy insects

BQF

getting back to the house (in Normandy) after 6 weeks of it lying idle, we were greeted with not only millions of lazy.dying flies, but also 1 euro sized crawling insects that make an incredible noise when they fly - like a light aircraft.  They have a hard shell too.

Can anyone tell us what they are, and how best to keep them out of the house??  Is there anything that smells strongly (plants?) that will keep them away?

Thanks

See my recent post; the aircraft are probably "punaises"; I don't know what they are in English. They seem to be harmless as you can pick them up and eject them. Apparently if you squash them they give off a disgusting odour. Screens are probably the best way. At this time of the year they are looking for places to overwinter, any nooks and crannies will do. If you are non-resident I would be inclined to have a good spray just before leaving to try to kil off any flies.

I think punaises are shield beetles or bugs in English - assuming our roofer last year was calling the insect he identified as such by the correct name.  We get green ones and brown ones, but not in any great numbers.  And not as big as a euro.

Here's what a search for shield bug threw up:

[img]http://www.wildsight.co.uk/images/pfolios/inverts/2851-shield-bug-333x500.jpg[/img]

And here's punaise:

[img]http://www.vertdeterre.com/nature/img/insecte/punaise_verte.jpg[/img]

Looks like the same family to me.

[quote user="Cassis"]I think punaises are shield beetles in English -

assuming our roofer last year was calling the insect he identified as

such by the correct name.  We get green ones and brown ones, but

not in any great numbers.  And not as big as a euro.

[/quote]

I think that the green ones might turn brown during the autumn (when it

finally condesends to arrive...). As for them not being as big as a

Euro - have you tried squashing one carefully? Note though that their

French name can be translated as "stink beetle"

Mmmm.  I think I'll take your word for it!  That's why I've never tried crushing one with my hands - better to use the steamroller.

Out of interest, do you also have Very Smelly Creeping Weed in your garden?  I don't know what it is but it doesn't half pong.  It lingers on gloves, shoes etc. for ages.

They're not horrid, not in the grand scheme of things! Just a bit slow, noisy, and smell like almonds/marzipan. We have a few here and I would much rather have more of them in exchange for the huge centipedey things we have - we have dicovered that whilst their bodies disintegrate when you whack them, the zillions of legs continue to wriggle around for some time after... up to 3 mins!!

I always used to kill spiders with books, slippers, etc, but last year we found one that had a large body, or so we thought. When we squished it it died but the large body turned out to be lots and lots of baby spiders clinging to its back - they scattered themselves around in a clearly pre-organised way, in every direction. I'm sure they are lying in wait for me this year, so am careful when flattening spiders indoors now.

Shield bugs, no problem!

Jane

Ones I get do not need to be crushed. Just pick them up and smell your fingers.

They seem to have "good" and "bad" years. A few years ago I have loads and loads. Last couple of years far fewer. I've no idea what conditions cause them to appear in larger numbers.

I only get brown ones in the house.

Ian

I think that is probably Palomena prasina, Ian, maybe the one that was mentioned earlier in the thread, green in summer and changes to brown in autumn / winter. I think that they require a warmer temperature to over winter than many of the others, Gendarmes for example, seem to withstand very low temperatures.

Chris