Franco Belge woodburners

Steve Clark

Can anyone help we are concidering shipping a Franco Belge woodburner out to our place in france has anyone had any dealings with them i can find a lot of information on other make but not Franco Belge any comments would be helpfull.

Thanks Steve Clark

We inherited an old Franco Belge free standing enamelled wood burner in our first French house and were so impressed with it's heat output that we brought it with us to our new home.

When we had trouble with the handle we went on-line and were able to order the parts we needed, even though it is many years old.

We have had experience with both "insert" stoves and free standing and in our experience you get much more heat per log (hpl) from the free standing. You don't lose any heat up the chimney and the whole stove and chimney give off loads of heat!

Seems strange to even be thinking of stoves and heat when we are experiencing such wonderful hot weather but I noticed this morning that one of our neighbours has just taken delivery of his winter log supply.

Hope this is helpful.

Janet

Thanks for the information Anton the cottage we are slowly sorting out is just outside Lussac-Les-Eglises in the north of the Limousin near to Montmorillon. on the question of cost we are looking at 1800 to 2000 euros in the UK for a Franco Belge Ardennes Woodburner How does this compare to French prices as it would be easyer to buy in France.

Thanks Steve

[quote]Not sure where you are going in France but the 'Brico 2000' shop near Auchan to the West of Perigeaux has them in stock. Their prices were on a par with French 'commodity stoves' such as Supra and God...[/quote]

Anton.

Please can you confirm the location of the 'Brico 2000' shop as i cannot find Auchan on our maps and it sounds intresting if we can find it and it is not to far from our place in France?

Thanks Steve

Sorry about that ‘Auchan’ is a chain of Hypermarkets and is well signposted in Perigueux. . Assuming you are driving South on the road from Brantome (probability the N938) you turn right when you reach the instead of left (which takes you into Perigueux ) and Brico 2000 is on the next roundabout.

If you type ‘Marsac sur Isle’ into Via Michelinyou get the map page

MAGASIN AUCHAN PERIGUEUX 

ADRESSE ave Louis Suder 24430 MARSAC SUR ISLE 

http://www.viamichelin.fr/viamichelin/fra/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

http://www.viamichelin.fr/viamichelin/fra/dyn/controller/mapPerformPage?strAddress=&strCP=&strLocation=Marsac+sur+isle&strCountry=1424&image2.x=12&image2.y=21

Try using Google.fr with sites set to France to search for prices.

I have fitted a jotul free staning unit and it is perfect.

Remember two years ago it was minus 15 in central france

Please remember unless you can absoloutely guarantee dry wood (questionable) fit a double insulated stainless steel chimney, even if it is insisde an existing chimney

these are available in flexible for inside and rigid for outside

Costly yes but better than chimney fire

Sorry to jump on this thread but we are confused.

We are about to go out today to purchase a Franco Belge stove, the model is 'Le Normandie'.  We are hoping to fit this ourselves into our existing fireplace. 

Last winter we had open fire's but most of the heat went up the chimney.  Anyway, our main confusion is whether or not we need a 'liner'?  What is a liner?  We assumed that as we have been having open fire's the bricks are refractory bricks and someone mentioned that if you have refractory bricks you don't need a liner???  Is the liner the stainless steel tube that fits onto the stove going up the chimney?  Oh and now I'm even more confused...  VJ, you talk about a 'double insulated stainless steel chimney'.  What do you mean?  Is this where you have refractory bricks and the stainless steel tube?

Sorry to sound a bit dumb but any advise greatly welcome.

We too were about to bring two Franco Belge woodburners over with us in a furniture van when we bought our house about 5 yrs ago.  However, whilst having a telephone conversation with our English builder in France about whether he could install them for us, he happened to mention that the French electrician he had hired to rewire the house, was in fact the Franco Belge rep for the area! He had the same catalogue we had and we chose them with him on the phone. The saving in price was fantastic and by the time we got there a few weeks later, they were both installed and have been wonderful ever since.

I wonder if you can find out if there is a local rep, I don't know if you know any builders/ electricians? or perhaps by looking in the phone book?

Carole

[quote]Can anyone help we are concidering shipping a Franco Belge woodburner out to our place in france has anyone had any dealings with them i can find a lot of information on other make but not Franco Belg...[/quote]

Hi Steve,we have just had a Franco Belge woodburner installed, we bought it at our local Quincaillere in Chalus (87), if you need the address please email me.They have been great to deal with, they have installed it as well, very good service.

Regards Sugarlady

[quote]Hi Steve,we have just had a Franco Belge woodburner installed, we bought it at our local Quincaillere in Chalus (87), if you need the address please email me.They have been great to deal with, they ha...[/quote]

Hi all, i am new here so be kind to me!

Everyone will be horrified at us but we removed our stove (for the moment) due to the fact that every time we put the fire on the whole house filled up with smoke!!, and i mean the WHOLE HOUSE ,the seller assured us that the chimney was cleaned and clear but although there was plenty smoke coming out of the chimney , there was as much in the house,Smoke was coming from every possible crevice of the actual stove which we sealed and sealed with the proper stuff that we were recommended by Bricolage  staff but no joy.The stove would be absolutely ancient, cant remember the name but it isnt the one that every one has been talking about on this site, it is also a top loading sort but we wondered if it was where the house is situated ie with a very high bank at the back of the house which means there was not enough of a draw to draw the smoke up the chimney!!

Any advice and ideas will be most appreciated

Hayley

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Can anyone help we are concidering shipping a Franco Belge woodburner out to our place in france has anyone had any dealings with them i can find a lot of information on other make but not Franco Belg...[/quote]

May I please direct you to my comments to be found under the French Finance Act 2005 and which appear in the renovation section?

Our France Belge some four years old is coming out (nothing to do with the product) but the installation by the plombier and is due to guarantees that sort of thing.

We are having a total new install and I cannot advertise here but I will say that the Franco Belge is appearing in Manche Libre at a very good price!  and I mean very good price.

[quote]Hi Steve,we have just had a Franco Belge woodburner installed, we bought it at our local Quincaillere in Chalus (87), if you need the address please email me.They have been great to deal with, they ha...[/quote]

Hello Sugarlady

Would appreciate the telephone number, address or website details for the franco belge burner you mentioned.

Thank you very much!

Big Nose

Found this website, but it doesn't appear to be up to date as the Normandie isn't there.

http://www.francobelge.com/

In Bricomarche (Confolens 16) yesterday, the Normandie was 1075 euros - don't know how that compares to other areas. Don't forget that if you are French resident (tax registered) you can get 40% rebate (if it has the FlammeVert symbol).