Cost Of Installing A Woodburner

adrianpmills

We have received a quote for installing our woodburner. I would appreciate your views on whether it is reasonable:

7ml gaine inox (greek letter theta) 167, unit cost 56.76 - total E 397

Other materials (an RA and CTF ??) E 44

Installation including register plate and insulation E 381

Total before TVA is Euros 822.

Thanks

Without knowing how much work is involved no one can coment on your estimate, but it does not sound like a sttraight forward plug in does it? How many hours are quoted?

If you are querying the cost of your inox, stainless steel tube, that is about right, it is expensive. With all these things you get what you pay for, you could get it cheaper at a Brico and be replacing it in half the time.

I have recently had a quote for supply and fitting or a Poele a bois (Jotul F500). There is an existing fireplace though this has a very solid shelf that will require demolition. It is a very wide chimney and will have to close-off above the fire (to stop soot bits falling into the room).

I have always considered the shop quite expensive (top of the range), but they are pretty well the only local place (I believe that if companies have to travel further, you end-up paying for it anyway).

The quote actually lists every bit they will need (bit like a parts list for the work as well as a quote). The company is also supplying the poele a bois (i.e. everything).

The chimney is inside and ground floor then 1st floor, then roof space before getting outside (to give you some feeling for the length as the inox tube is quite expensive (for my quote 180mm diam €68.9 per m).

Anyway, my quote:

Materials: €725. (incl. tube for chimney but obviously not the poele a bois).

Labour: €536 (plus €210 for demolish the “shelf”)

Poele a bois: just don’t ask – way OTT.

Prices above are excl. TVA (as, depending on your circumstances, timing, Brussels, etc. you may pay either 5.5% or 19.6% TVA).

Hope this helps

Ian

We had a large Godin stove installed by a local supplier last year (on the recommendation of another forum member) and have since recommended others to the same supplier. The price was around 900€ if I remember correctly and installation was carried out at no extra charge. The job was pretty straightforward, just making and fitting a register plate and assembling the stove in the (also pretty large) fireplace with a few metres of flue pipe to go up the existing chimney. We did pay a bit extra to have black pipe to match the stove rather than the standard galvanised flue. I understood that the reason the supplier was able to install for no extra charge was that supply and fit attracted TVA at the lower 5.5% rate, whereas supply only would have been 19.6% TVA.

We've just had our old Godin woodburning stove, which we found in the garage, fitted into our existing large fireplace for appx 76 euros.

Looking at all the other quotes I'm wondering why there is such a difference?

Anyone know if we should be worried, or am I missing the point completely!

Lynda

[quote]We've just had our old Godin woodburning stove, which we found in the garage, fitted into our existing large fireplace for appx 76 euros. Looking at all the other quotes I'm wondering why there is su...[/quote]

My quote (above) includes demolishing a solid shelf in the fireplace, supplying and installing a tube in the chimney (the inox tube itself is about €500 worth), sealing the chimney, black stove to sealing tube, brackets to pass through the “chimney seal”), “hat” for the top of the chimney (to stop rain coming in), 10 year guarantee, etc. Basically they are starting with virtually nothing which is quite different from connecting up an existing stove to an existing flue – and thus probably the difference in price.

€76 would buy you around a meter and a half of chimney tube (excl. fitting) – probably part of the cost difference, so I assume that you already had all this installed.

I know my local shop is not the cheapest in the world but a year ago I had a quote from a different company for an insert (foyer ?) and the installation costs (materials and labour) were pretty much the same.

Ian