Planning regulations - toilets

Hindhaugh

Busy drawing up plans for renovation of small house, can anyone brief me on the regulations relating to the toilet location in particular; Do I need a ventilated lobby if including an 'on-suite' in bedroom, can I locate the toilet, washbasin and shower in one room (as seen many times in gites etc), do I need a minimum volume etc.

I know the UK rules and after 35 years of touring France I have seen every combination of alteration the big question is WHAT is correct and allowed!

Thanks in anticipation

Busy Bee!

[quote]Busy drawing up plans for renovation of small house, can anyone brief me on the regulations relating to the toilet location in particular; Do I need a ventilated lobby if including an 'on-suite' in be...[/quote]

OK, as noone else has tried, I'll give it a go. I can't quote the regs, but this is my understanding;

Do I need a ventilated lobby if including an 'on-suite' in bedroom - No, En-suite can connect straight to bedroom (or any other room for that matter)

can I locate the toilet, washbasin and shower in one room (as seen many times in gites etc) - Yes, although a toilet must include a WHB. do I need a minimum volume etc. - Yes, but I'm not sure what it is (not big, but big enough to contain a loo & a WHB).

I believe that all new loos, showers etc must include a VMC (good sense anyway), so make sure you can run the ductwork.

HTH!

The only thing I'd add, is what I was told by our architect when we fell fould of the 75 sq m rule: You have to have at least one SEPERATE WC in your property if a new build or renovation. (Obviously, existing builds not included.)

That was my understanding, anyway.

Alcazar

Alex - VMCs are really common in France. They provide ventilation in kitchen, living rooms, bathrooms, etc via squashy ducting and a motorised fan somewhere up above. You'll never die of carbon monoxide poisoning if you have one and they take away all smells. It just runs quietly all the time.

En-suite planning - don't know regs at all but when you are drawing plans sit on a loo and measure the area you need for knees, pulling up draws etc! Some folks we know installed a loo bu shower cubicle and the only way you can sit on it is sideways! I know this sounds obvious but when drawing plans for a small space which must be functional, the obvious sometimes gets forgotten.