Water rates for unoccupied property

Has anyone experience of dealing with Lyonnaise des Eaux on the matter of water rates for unoccupied properties? Due to illness, I had to return to the UK so as to have access to my GP and local hospital. My house in Nontron which comes under Bordeaux /Guyenne region of the company has now been unoccupied for the last 3 years. I'm at a loss as to how much I'm actually liable to pay for an unoccupied property and getting little help or clarification from the water company.

Has anyone who's had a similar experience give some advice and clarification as to my rights and liabilities?

Well surely if they come the mandatory once per year to read your meter and you pay the bill they are not going to bother you. You must pay the abonnement whatever if the water is connected and able to be used but I doubt very much you would get a any cheaper deals, after all you pay for what you use not a fixed price and they would see by the lack of consummation that you have not drawn any. A house a few doors down has not been occupied since 1996 as the lady is in the local old folks home but the water is still laid on and her SIL pays for the abonnement as he still has to keep the place clean and the pipes flushed through! To be honest if you do not want the actual account closed and the water shut off I would not contact them because if you come back and try to be re-connected you will pay for that to be done and could have to wait some time! Think of the thousands of unoccupied holiday homes in France that only use water a couple of weeks per year but the water supplier does still get some money regardless by the abonnement etc.

This is the problem, it varies between one area or town even to another. We do not pay an abonnement just for water in and out. Although it is water that belongs to the commune it is maintained etc by  Lyonnaise des Eaux and that's the name on the bill.

I have two different properties with different providers.

One is Lyonaisse des Eaux and the other is a departmental one.

Lyonaisse charge a relatively low abonnement but a high price per cubic metre.

The other charge less for water used but have 2 abonnements, one for supply and the other for drainage.

Together they come to just over 8€ a month which means that even unoccupied and using no water I would pay nearly 100€ a year.

This is just to illustrate the points made above...

Thanks for your reply.

It is highly unlikely that I'll be staying at the property anytime in the future. The intention is to put it up for sale within the 6 months. In such an event, do you think it be more advisable to ask Lyonnaise to simply shut off supply and leave it for the new owner to connect up?

Also as far as you know, is any charge made for shutting off the supply?

If you are going to sell the property, then there is even more reason to keep the connection ON.

I have written elsewhere about keeping properties, as far as possible, cleaned up, all essential repairs done, any major outstanding defects like non-conforming fosses rectified, and have everything "ready to go".

"Ready to go" means, electrics, water, gas if any, all connected.  In a buyers' market, such basic amenities could mean a sale or no sale.

Against the cost of paying the standing charges, you need to count the cost, and not only in terms of money although there is that as well but in terms of worry and having a difficult to shift property.

Put yourself in the buyers' shoes for a minute, if you found say 2 or 3 houses that you like and want to buy, wouldn't you choose the one that is the least hassle to move into?