Scaffolding Towers

Gabe

Anybody know the rough costs of hiring a scaffolding tower with a 7m working height ? I also note that Bricodepot are advertising one for about 990 euros and have been thinking of buying one as a long term investment. Does anybody have any experience of these as they seem relatively cheap, but might be c**p ?

Gabe

I can't comment on the cost of hiring a scaffold tower, but €990 to buy one sounds like a lot of money to me unless it is a very substantial professional piece of equipment.

To my mind, if you want to invest in 3 bits of equipment to carry out DIY renovation then buy a trailer, cement mixer and your scaffold tower.  There will be lots of others but those 3 in particular have been worth every penny for me.

Good luck with your digging out because despite what others have said I think you are on the right lines, and I didn't even raise a snigger at 3A's  problem with the digger as I understood exactly what he meant despite sums never being my strong point.

weedon

I got one from Castorama but it's only a 5m working height and cost 130 euros in a sale.  I've used it for re-jointing the stonework on the house facades and it was stable, rigid and lightweight.  But obviously not professional quality at that price.  Brico Depot have a professional quality 7m platform that conforms to HD1004 for 957 euros, 2 metres long and with stabilisers.  I would have thought for 990 euros you should get the dog's  whatnots!

I would love the luxury of hiring a cherry picker, but if you're doing something like hacking out and rejointing a whole house, I would think you'll be well out of pocket by the time you finish .... and it's handy to have a tower for all those painting jobs, etc. at a later date instead of faffing about on top of a ladder. 

I have to say that I agree with Weedon and Cassis, which is why I asked the question. It may appear alot of outlay now, but i can then use it forever, or until I am too knackered to get up there anymore. Have to say that 130euros from Castorama seems very cheap, but worth a look definitely, or am I too late ?

Weedon you mentioned trailers, I was planning to try and get one second hand in France, thought it would be cheaper and easier to register ?? Any thoughts ? p.s. thanks for your comments vis a vis soakaways

Gabe

I tried buying a trailer second hand but found that they cost about as much as new ones!  If you can get one in the UK it may be cheaper (but then there's the ferry cost).  You don't need to register an ordinary trailer - just put a number plate on the back for the car towing, same as UK.

[quote user="Cassis"]I tried buying a trailer second hand but found

that they cost about as much as new ones!  If you can get one in

the UK it may be cheaper (but then there's the ferry cost).  You

don't need to register an ordinary trailer - just put a number plate on

the back for the car towing, same as UK.[/quote]

Cassis,

From memory,French trailers seem to have a different number on the

plate than on the car, if you don't need to register the trailer, how

do you know what number to fit?

[quote user="Gabe"]

Anybody know the rough costs of hiring a scaffolding tower with a 7m working height ? I also note that Bricodepot are advertising one for about 990 euros and have been thinking of buying one as a long term investment. Does anybody have any experience of these as they seem relatively cheap, but might be c**p ?

Gabe

[/quote]

We have a sturdy tower we have been thinking of getting rid of for modest price.  BUT is is only about 5M working height.  PM or e-mail me if of any interest.   I can send photo and full dimensions.

Liz

Reference yopur query on trailers in France.  A small trailer with no brakes and an all up weight of under 750kg can be used with the registration of the towing vehicle.  However, the trailer loading must meets the vehicles towing limits etc, the actual load may not necessarily be 750kg less the weight of the trailer.  Most trailers in this category will have a certified load of around 350kg.  It is possible to have the trailer "insured" on the vehicle's policy, usually at no cost but check with insurer. See below for cautionary tale!!

It is possible to register the trailer, certainly if it is larger, twin axles, brakes, van structure etc, and then it is insured in it's own right.  THis is similar to the caravan procedure, and usually used for commercail use trailers.  The trailer will have it's own Carte Grise, immatriculation number and green carte certificate, though it is not known where the green windscreen insurance sticker goes!

Hope this helps!

Cautionary tale:  My first trailer was bought on a Wednesday, attached to the car and taken home and parked up for the night.  THe trailer was locked to the car with the propriety lock within the towing hitch provided by the seller NorAuto.  By Thursday the trailer had been stolen.  Just to make sure that I could not give chase, one of the front tyres was irreparably slashed.  I visited the Gendarmes, made a statement and received their report for insurance purposes.  THere was no rushing off of vehicles with horns blaring and blue lights flashing.  I duly contacted my insurance broker.  He gave me the good news and the bad news.  Good news, yes the trailer was insured for third party fire and theft.  Bad news; insurance only valid when the trailer is attached to the car when the event occurs and the car must be stolen or burnt at the same time.  ie action solely to the trailer - insurance not valid.  That was a lesson which cost 800€. 

SOLUTION:  Insurance is available for an un-registered trailer (in it's own right) for about 70€ per annum.  I got mine (for my second and current trailer) from AXA. 

Top Tip - always pass a motorcyle security chain through a hole in the trailer wheel and through a fixed eye on the trailer whilst unattended.