Roof repairs

redcap

Yes.

The idea as that the expanding foam locks the purlins, tiles and battens together and keeps any tiles with broken nibs in place.

The big problem is that if the roof needs repairing, it's probaby leaking. If it's leaking, then the foam locks the damp into the timber. Since the foam is impermeable to water and seals the roof from air, too, then you have no through ventilation. And then the whole thing rots! A roof weighs a considerable amount.

This weight is taken out through the timbers and then the roof trusses. Foam has no real strength.

Important to remember that if the trusses move down from the top, this can push the outside walls over! If the trusses move laterally (end-to-end) then they can push the end walls over! I have seen some wonderful loft conversions in France, where enthusiastic amateurs have glibly chopped down A frames, to promote head height! I couldn't get out of those places quick enough...........................[Www]

Foam cannot replace the well thought out (one hopes![;-)]) design and strength of a decent roof. Far better to throw a tarp over it until it can be repaired properly.

Sadly, there are few short cuts which really work.

Thanks for your input, but with a name like gluestick it doesn't I have to wonder about your advice, (only joking). Its very interesting what you have said and it all makes sense, however I have found a company in the UK which dispells most if not all of your arguement. I am awaiting material from them so that I can investigate this method of further. I fully agree with you that if a roof is in need of a major rebuild then the only option would be to rebuild it. In my case the roof is sound but we had some snow ingress when we had a bit of a blizzard, to repair that would be very expensive so I am looking for a cheaper but quality option. In the end I may have to replace it but not until I have persued all  the avenues and allyways........that reminds me of a song.

Redcap

The foam is really bad idea. The lack of ventilation can accelerate any rot in the roof and can make it impossible to reuse any of the existing tiles when the job (eventually) has to be done properly. The link below leads to a page of common sense advice from a builder who writes for the Sunday Telegraph. He is quite scathing about a number of profitable techniques used at the less reputable end of the building market.

http://www.askjeff.co.uk/content.php?id=5

The foam is great stuff and easy but messy to do yourself i have just done mine i have an oldish roof but all the tiles are in place and will last a long time. if you want to replace the roof at a later date you can i sprayed a tile and found it quite easy to get off with a good blade not that a builder would want to do it would be to time consumeing.One thing through do not put to much on it does not need it and lets the joists breath.

Got mine here    http://www.absealantsltd.com/Handi_Foam_Prices.htm