How to treat new windows and doors

Monika

It will depend on what colour you are going to have them and also if they arrived with a primer on them? If they are going to be left as the wood then a good micro-porous varnish will be a good thing. You could also use Danish Oil. It gives a lovely finish and can be used for internal and external woodwork, but it will need renewing about every 6 months if it is in a harsh envioronment like direct strong sunlight. The other option is the paint  them. I have just fitted new windows and a double door in my new workshop. They came from the menusarie (?)  painted with a brown acrylic substance, some kind of primer? I rubbed them down lightly, undercoated them and glos painted them in white. They look good. They are hardwood.

If you do paint them and they are in direct sunlight make sure that you get a paint that will stand up to it. I don't know if U.K. paints are formulated to withstand the sun here, but you can get good paint here now that is designed for the harsh sun... I should think that the same goes for varnish too?

John.

Any thoughts on trade names for micro porous stains/varnish - was thinking of purchasing Sadolin woodstain here to use on some external softwood doors, but if I can would prefer to use something I can repeat buy locally.

For wooden windows, hardwood (bois exotique) or softwood (usually sapin) I'd use a lasure treatment. This is wood treatment with insect treatment all in one. V33 and Syntilor are two names which spring to mind but Castorama also do their own brand.

I like the idea of the Danish Oil, but I wonder if you have to apply it like to a boat, on first application you have to go over it as many times as possible before it dries, which would make it a big job. Then again the lasure treatment sounds good, because it would also have insect treatment. Thanks for your help.

I've had new wood-framed windows installed, relaid two bedroom floors with thick pine planks, and friends have scrubbed their old floor boards. In each case micro-porous lasure has brought out the grain, given a lovely finish, and turned out to be very hard wearing on the floors.

I'd recommend it as an option. [8-|]