Socket spurs?

briwy

[quote user="powerdesal"]I also dont understand the 'voltage driven vs current driven' comment.

Question: Whilst the normal French way of boite de derivation (junction box) is a plain box with choc bloc connectors in it ( x 3 ) is there any reason why a standard UK style 4 post screw lid JB cant be used?

The reason I ask is simply that I hate chocolate block connectors, no real reason, I just do.

Next Question: does a JB behind skirting board count as being 'buried' its accessible by removing the skirting board securing screws ?

Regards
[/quote]

Answer(s);

It can't be used because a) It ain't approved. b) You can't clamp/retain the gaine if you are using gaine + fils.

Everyone hates choc block. There are alternatives (ignoring the American twisty method, which is even more illegal & shit).

& Yes, it is (buried).

I am not ignoring this Chaps: pretty busy at the moment. When I am over the present workload, will revert with source data etc.

Nick: I have in the past and will in the future defer to your professional knowledge, as I am aware of your background.

My own concern with loading too many outlets onto one spur is in fact the point contact resistance, as the connectors are not very effective in dealing with 2 X 2.5 m.m. cable in and out. And, of course, neither are chocky blocks, either! One flat-ended round screw trying to make good contact with two stiff circular 2.5 m.m. wires!

Also, the French seem to love sockets for almost everything! Macertors, bi-fuel "Serviette" rads etc.

I have two 2,500 panel heaters in the salon: not very effective, thus needs more sporadic backgound heat in the Winter at present, so it can mean instant current overload! And that was my concern.

Roll on the CH!

Neither do I, Steve.

I'm with you on the concept of junkboxes with a b****y great brass screw and pillar!

Chocky blocks would be fine, if they had a separate hole of the precise wire diameter, for each cable.

With high current 12 volt automotive stuff, we always soldered, since Ampex type Lucas connectors always seemed to give robs on race cars; like falling off!

That's why I much preferred the old push-fit bullet end cable fittings (soldered, natch) which of course, were round terminals going into a tightly fitting round sleeve. Pig to undo once they became slightly corroded, mind. [:@]

In the past, with multi-wire connections, I have even soldered all the wires together and screwed the terminal down, hard, into the solder, to obtain the best possible connection! [:)]

Wouldn't pass the IEE specs, I'm sure, [:D]  however, it worked!

a radial is a continouse spur from your mcd (fuse board) you can only join on the end of the radial not half way down ect the max should be caculated on what loading you have upon them if its the lounge or bedrooms you will not likely to have large loadings and up to eight in a radial kitchens and utility usaully have larger loadings and need to be reduced to 4 to five kettle dishwashers w/machines any thing with heating elements or constantly on beware you can no the loadings by rule of thum on the fuse within a british plug small fuse small loading

please stay clear of any wire less than 2.5 mm you will be mesing around with big problems small cable ok you get them in connections easier but with large loadings heat up and can burn my advice is pay for good advice and workmanship books are fine if you no what you are looking at in the first place covering up bad electrics will cost more long term

The average living room or bedroom can have sufficient electrical items to soak up one radial completely (our bedroom is a prime example: you wouldn't think you'd need much but by the time we are set up there's bedside light (x 2), radio, electric blanket (x 2), mozzie killer, fan, socket for hair dryer, .... That's one whole radial gone and there's 5 other bedrooms to go !)

I think it's a good rule of thumb that anything which is going to pull 2kw or more should have a separate feed to itself. So that would be all room heaters, kettle, DW and WM and TD. Makes for a lot of circuits, but it does mean that your 2+T socket circuits should stay well within their trip capacity.

Gers32 - I see no difference (electrically) between a daisy-chain of sockets; a single line with each socket fed from a boite de d (a daisy-chain of boites in effect); and a number of sockets fed from a single boite (a sort of mini-star).  In every case the current for all the sockets would flow through a single screw terminal at the point of the first break in the cable from the disjoncteur. That's the place where a high resistance connection would generate heat.

paul

Paul,

8 x socket outlets / bedroom ???? What about diversity, after all you would not expect to use the electric blankets at the same time as the fan and mozzie killer would you ?

The eight sockets on that radial can all be doubles anyway giving 4 x double sockets / bedroom thus halving your total bedroom circuits, and thats without diversity considerations.

My own personal view is that two double sockets are sufficient in a bedroom but thats because its not a gite, I dont have a radio / tv in the bedroom and dont use electric blankets / space heating. Therefore, two for bedside lamps, one for the coffee maker, one spare for such things as hairdryer ( dont use one personally, you need hair!!!) or vac cleaner.

Only my personal view of course, each to his/her own.

Regards