Acrow Props

sheldonrobbo

They are called Etai de macon and cost about 12 euros each, so not worth hiring. Not as good or as strong as acrows but do the job. I tend not to use them on anything really heavy, I have two acrows for that. If you are still in UK look in freeads or similar, thats where I got mine, a tenner each.

Hope that helps

John

I have purchased two acros in the past from French builders merchants and they are just as good as anything I've seen available in the UK.

I find most building supplies in France are no more expensive than UK and then you have transportation costs on top. Paint is one exception and that is not only down to cost. Quality and choice of colours were also an issue but but then that is changing as well.

One of the main problems of purchasing stuff in the UK for use in France is that it may not conform to NF regs even if it works OK. This will certainly impact on the ability to call on a local tradesperson for effecting any repairs in the future.

I currently have about 8 etais from Bricomarche (11 euros each in a promo) supporting a 6m by 4m beam and block concrete floor - no problem. Have used them to support oak beams, walls etc without problems. I think it would have to be something really heavy to damage them - if you have something that heavy to support, why not ease the load by using more etais?

If you buy from a builders merchants they can probably give you a spec sheet for maximum loading on the props. I got one when I bought mine (cheaply) some years ago and recall that the specified load capacity was well in excess of what I would need for a two storey timber frame building. Unfortunately I can't find the sheet now although I did post some of the specs on here some time ago but it was before the system was changed so I suspect the info is lost now. I think the spec sheet is probably in France so I'll look it out when I'm next over.