Advice on woodburner

Unknown

Hello

We have just had our chimney swept for the first time and plan to make use of it this winter.  The fire place is large and the room is currantly being used as a bedroom by our children.  We thought it would be more efficient and safer to install a wood burner.  Trouble is there are so many.

I would like to know your views and experiences on using these.

Many thanks

We have an old Deville woodburner in our lounge.  I derive a

strange satisfaction from cutting down trees on my land, and then

shoving them in the burner!  It feels all green and sustainable,

man.....

To be honest though, it's not that controllable and takes a fair bit of

tlc, cleaning etc.  If you have central heating, get an extra

radiator!

I had a similar situation in my sitting room - large chimney and when I lit an open fire all the heat from the fire went up the chimney, plus, the rising air also dragged all the warm air from the room up the chimney as well. Closed the doors and got smoke back in the house.

Last winter I got a woodburner. They installed a flue pipe for the chimney. It is excellent and am a total convert. The only thing I would wonder about is how suitable they are for bedrooms. Do not take this as a negative comment - just I have no idea about ventilation requirements when you are sleeping in a room. I am sure that any installation person will advise.

I got a Jotul (decent and quite expensive make) and it is very controllable. I got one rated far higher than I needed for the room as it is an old draughty house and I'm glad I did as it is about right.

I'm even thinking about getting one for the landing and I've started planting a small (0,7 ha) forest to supply wood in years to come).

Also, if you a buying a new one you will probably get a 40% (or maybe 50% tax refund on the cost of the wood burner). I was told 40% when I was quoted for mine but the paperwork has come through saying 50% so I will have to wait until next tax return to find out. The 40% is for French residents submitting an income tax return and was for the wood burner only, not the flue nor accessories, nor installation. If you buy them at the Bricos I don't think you get a tax credit - must be supplied and fitted by a registered/approved installer. That's my experience/understanding anyway.

Ian

kid's bedroom? Open fire? Arrrrgh!!!!

Get a woodburner - great fun! Chainsaws, love 'em!

The price of wood is going up, it can be a bit expensive but probably still cheaper than other heating methods.

You have a choice between a free standing burner or an inset; with kids around I'd advise an inset and still make sure they can't touch the thing - if that's impractical don't buy one or move them out of the room with the fireplace! Buy some stainless flu tubing stuff (it's in the DIY shops) and run that through the chimney; it won't rust and if the flu is already really wide (open fireplace currently, you implied?) could be very easy to fit.

Again, the piping gets really hot.

Some people find that their burner is inefficient - sometimes they can't work out why, you can get thermostat controled turbo blowers/extractors fitted which seem to help. We have a homemade extractor blowing heat down into the kitchen. The cost of fitting a burner can be very high... I know a guy who quoted a customer quite highly - half hoping they'd baulk, didn't fancy the job due to the weight! - and they were very happy as it was half the price the shop had quoted!

I don't think the Brits rate french burners much - but Godin seems a pretty reputable make. We use a bog standard inset and it's fine: couple of hundred euros from a DIY shop. Stayed in gites with simmilar set ups and the cheap burners were great.

General rules re wood: it needs to be aged (though some burn okay 'green'/freshly cut). Oak is best - pine and other woods are a no-no unless it's really well aged (too much resin that sticks to your flu and can cause fires). Lot's of people like a mixed batch; I like to stick a massive green or damp log on at bedtime because it burns slowly. You control the burning with vents on the burner - a bit like a choke on an old car; they provide a bit of control. Embers are everything and with some burners you need to learn your own knack to get things really going!

Get everything priced up first, including wood prices/availability/storage (obviously).

Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies/advice, just to let you know we don't have anywhere else for the kids to sleep at the moment and they are aged 7,11,13 so should know not to touch anything that's hot.

What about the size of burners, I have noticed they reccomend the wood size, have any of you regretted buying a smaller burner and wished you had plumted for a bigger one.

Or what about the heat watts, are the ones with a higher wattage really that much more powerful?

hi

ok i read somwhere that the most efficent open fire was only 30% efficent and the worst poele was 70% so make your own mind up on that one .

we have a modern deville with a thermostatic control it works  really well  , but it`s not the fire it`s the chiminey that makes the fire work thats the important bit , you can make a cheap fire work well with a good flue but not the other way around.

on the wood size just make sure it will take logs of min 50cm long most wood is delivered in 1mt lenghts so only 1 cut , or you will pay more to have it cut to your size.

dave

blue peter one i made earlier

I have only experience of the one so cannot help much with comparisons. However, mine does have a control which has a big effect on heat output (theoretically low is 5kw, high is 11 kw). I was heating a large room but still went for one that was rated for a much much bigger room - and it was the right decision (old house, single glazed and draughty).

Mine has a heat output range 5kw to 11kw which the manufacturers rate for a room volume of 350 cubic m (which I personally think is a bit optimistic - but may be fine for modern well insulated draught free houses). The recommended log length for the fire is 30 cm (though you can fit logs up to 55 cm in it).

These days I get most of my wood from my land (and I'm still on fallen branches and the occasional dead tree - not yet had to cut down any live healthy trees but will need to this winter). However, when I first moved here I needed logs to burn immediately so purchased a load. The local supplied had then available in a range of lengths (I did not have to do any cutting). I did need to collect them from him as he said the price would be 3 times to include delivery !! (but then I was only buying smallish quantity).

I am very happy with the one I chose and got. However, when looking around I was limited by what makes local suppliers and installers handled. In my area suppliers/installers seem to only handle a few manufacturers and then only where there are non-conflicting models in the ranges.

One thing that did surprise me was the installation timescale. Ordered it in Nov and with some pushing got it installed early Jan (very different from most building work timescales). However, if you are wanting it this winter best to select, order, etc. a.s.a.p. as not surprisingly autumn is a busy time.

Ian