antifreeze/ central heating

mike151

[quote user="mike151"]hi, what's the best method of introducing antifreeze into the system, there is a red painted tank located above the oil boiler which looks like it could be filled if some of the water was drained 1st or is it best via a radiator, if so how? thanks.[/quote]

If your red-painted tank is like mine, it's an expansion tank/pressure vessel.

Apart from that, sorry, I can't help at present, but MAY be able to after our next visit, which is towards the back end of October, when I hope to collar our plumber for a chat[Www]

Spongebob

The easiest way is througha radiator by first fitting a hose to a drain point and reducing the pressure to zero,  turn off both valves to a rad, remove rad and drain the last of the water in the rad outside the back door, replace rad with valves still turned off , remove both plugs from top of rad ie cap and air release, use a 1/2in fitting to small pipe adaptor and screw into one of the top tappings connect this to a small piece of garden hose and funnel you can then fill the rad with any consentrate without having back pressure, when tub is empty replace cap and air release,  turn on valves and recharge system,  turn on heating and it will be mixed with the water through circulation.

This may seem long winded but I have tried to make it simple to understand, whole operation should only take approx 15 min

Dave  Smile [:)]

Don't forget you should also have some idea of the amount of water in the WHOLE of the heating system, the stuff you buy to use in the central heating system has to be diluted just like the stuff in the car. You don't use the motor grade antifreeze!

The stuff we put in is made by fernox? it is a mixture of antifreeze and inhibitor. Yes it is a slow job I made a take off that I could attach a container to, this was filled up with the desired amount of antifreeze and topped up by the filling loop.

Good luck.

Steve

I have just added this to my system. I purchased from a heating suppliers in Ales (Gard 30). they sell it in 20 litre containers and it cost about 80 euros., I dont think you will have much luck buying trying to buy it from the average Bricos The product also protects against corrosion. People often say that you only have to put in a small amount but you will find that you must have a greater concentration to provide protection.

Have sourced the product it was cheaper that fernox

Chris

Hi Mike, yes the whole twenty litres (it tells you on the container how much you need in terms of percentage) and did think about putting in 40 litres as it not only protects against frost but also other things and it advises that you should always add to much rather than not enough. I do not leave the heating on when I am not there as the oil consumption is considerable. A 20% concentration is probably good to -9 degrees c. I have also put a trace heating wire on the cold water pipes that run under the house (sous sol), to protect against frost.

I have 9 radiators some are fairly small but some are around 2 metres high. I have no idea how much the system holds but have been told by people with more experience than I that the average system holds around 100 litres ???. The house has a floor area of 140 sq metres and is a pavillon. I did  ponder on how to put the liquid in as I have in the past used the vents at the top of the radiator, but for 20 litres this would have more difficult. In the end I used a small pump attached to the drainage tap on the bottom of the boiler, it worked really well. I also think you can buy a kit to add. Bit like a garden sprayer???.

Let me know if you need any more advice, although I am not an expert,  but am very good at most DIY

Chris