Railway sleepers

Coco

I tried to get a load of used ones last winter without success. A local farmer said they were advertised occasionally in farming press and he would keep an eye open - but I heard nothing and he has been letting me know other things going on. Others suggested asking at the local station yard (though never got round to it).

Local railway does have a few piles of then around and the track sleepers are still wood (and I doubt they will be upgraded in the foreseeable future as we only get one or two trains per day on the track).

I would image new ones might be quite expensive (volume of wood and then the treatment), though I've never actually seen new ones. There is a lot of weight in each sleeper (quite heavy when I had to lug a load across a field).

Ian

As a great believer in EU regs and an advocate of conforming to the same, I think that it is now illegal to use old creosote soaked sleepers in your garden.  This could be cobblers, but hey?  And it wouldn't stop me either.

Mr Creosote.

PS Anyone got a waffer thin mint?

Someone told us that too Cassis.  However, rural France and all that, who gives a sh*t. Our guy who put in our garden steps last Spring used good old creosote soaked sleepers which were fine with us.  I think this couple would like to be more PC if they can, but it's not essential.

Wouldn't you like just one little minty?

Cassis commented: "As a great believer in EU regs and an advocate of conforming to the same, I think that it is now illegal to use old creosote soaked sleepers in your garden. "

That's a really good point as I wanted to use then to repair some of the "banks" round the mill pond (i.e. to re-make the wall for the banks). Being in a river is going to be even worse than being in a garden so maybe I need to think of a plan B.

Ian

[quote user="andyh4"]And bear in mind that as well as creosote, the sleepers will have had the benefit of having the weedkilling train run over at least once per year.[/quote]

Really? In the UK? When did you last see a weedkilling train? Weeds, yes, but no weedkilling train.

Some of the tracks around here are disgraceful.

Spongebob.

[quote user="Spongebob"]

[quote user="andyh4"]And bear in mind that as well as creosote, the sleepers will have had the benefit of having the weedkilling train run over at least once per year.[/quote]

Really? In the UK? When did you last see a weedkilling train? Weeds, yes, but no weedkilling train.

Spongebob.

[/quote]

But aren't we talking about France?

Thanks Cassis:

We had rather given up on the idea of a water feature in the raised bed, but then the guy who built it then sort of went his own sweet way with measurements, looked OK so no problem, but it did allow room for a reservoir. Then we saw the piece of stone which at the time was covered with lichen, we like lichen.....but of course it dried out a lot when we were waiting for the electrician......hey ho.......its very pleasant to just pop out of the kitchen with a coffee or G & T, can't wait until I have more plants in it, its quite sheltered there so should be easy......

Chris - There are bars at those windows, the old garage is an office. My husband thinks the window looks rustic and I think he is trying to get out of painting it [;-)][;-)]

Oh you mean next door ? I think it was a present from the mother in law on a visit from Ireland. They are great neighbours, they have 4  really well behaved children. I hope they never move !

[quote user="Spongebob"]

Spongebob.

[/quote]

UK, you're probably right, but unless I've missed my mark  St. Lo is not in the UK and the questioner is probably in France - and here the weedkiller train does seem to do regular rounds - even on tracks so badly maintained that they have to reduce the speed limit to 60, 50 or even 40km/hr.  Strange but true.