Conservatory

billy10

I am thinking about putting a conservatory on the back of the house , nothing too grand just an ordinary victorian style 3.5 metres x say 5 or 6 metres , well that was the plan until I started to look at the prices in France for said item , first of all I thought he was having a laugh but as I looked at more and more conservatories in France I realised they were serious, so I am thinking of reverting to plan  "b" which is buy one in the UK and van it over for probably a third of the price , Has anyone else had any experience of doing this for instance are there any duties or tax's involved ???

No duties or taxes, after all we're all in the EU now, free movement of goods and services and all that.   I would be interested to know if there are any planning issues here (I suspect there are, probably based on some archane volume measurements) as this inspires me to put it on my long list of 'improvements'

As P ZFP says, no more taxes! Plenty of planning implications though; If less than 20M2, then you will need a declaration de traveaux and if more a full permis (and if it takes your house over 170M2, then you will need an architect to draw it!).

BTW, everyone I know who has installed a conservatory has bought it in the UK - including one French couple!

Absolutely no planning issues at all:

provided

1.  you are not within 500m of an historic monument

2. floor space is less than 2mĀ² (no that is not a zero missed off - two)

3. Think there is a height restriction too (1,9m rings a bell)

So you're going to need a permis I would guess.