main stop valve leaking

GUEPE

hi i have noticed a fairly large leak coming from the joint on the stop valve in the utility room . the leak appears to be from a crack in the valve body .i think  someone has overtightened the joint?i am a fairly good diy plumber but i,m wondering if this is for a professional .the valve in question has a red lever the main plastic pipe coming into the house from the meter the outlet side has a pressure regulator and then to the hot water tank etc.is this something i can do  ?or is it a case of j,besoin de plombier? i think i can get the valve from a brico .any advice would be great thanks john

My "shut-off" on the water board side of the meter is a standard brass tap. It takes several turns to close it (normal sort of turns for a tap).

However, it is blindingly obvious what it is as it's about 3 inches away from the meter (pipe from outside world to tap to meter and on to house). I guess the type of tap the water board install depends on region/what they have available at the time/some other logic).

Ian

As a minimum, the water supplier simply must have some method of isolating their supply in order to service/replace their meter.

Having recently had a new supply fitted - at the syndicat's expense: it was their pipe that was leaking! - Phew! - there is an isolating cockle immediately after the meter  and a turn off cockle immediately outside the house in the road with a typical small, square cast iron cover.

Once you have turned off the supply, thereafter it is merely a matter of changing the faulty valve.

Edit: How silly; the filter prevented the use of the word C**K. I have thus substituted the word "Cockle".

Probably I will now discover that this is an obscene insult in French!

One day on fora, we'll have contextual filters which might prevent this problem.

Since posting the "Cockle" my mind has been marginally exercised by other thoughts............

For example, it is common to refer to a large course cut file as, well a Ba****d file. Bound to be a problem! [6]

And then, of course, we have a male chicken.................shall we call it, say a Cocklerell?

And next has to come a Weather Cocklerell.

If a newby poultrey keeper wants to know how to decide whether a chicken is male or female, I suppose they would have to write, " Can anyone tell me how to tell if a chicken is of the male or female gender?"

Rather than, "How does one S** a chicken?"

Disgusting!

And finally - you'll be delighted to know! - for the novelty gift searcher, "Where in France can I buy a set of Newton's object in a frame for the desk, with large chrome plated steel spherical things hanging on bits of string, which demonstrate Newton's First law of Motion?"