shower screen replacement

hinson76

I'm not sure this is classed as renovation but I have to replace a cracked shower screen on the side of the bath during  my next visit to Dieppe ,Normandy.Could you please tell me where i may buy a new one .Hopefully they are easy to fit as I am a DIY dotard most of the time.

If the existing frame is decent condition you can buy a replacement sheet (and if it's cracked I'm assuming it is acrylic or some other plastic, not glass)  rather than removing the entire fitting and replacing it.  Depending on the construction, this may be easier and cheaper if you're not desperate to replace the whole shebang.  Ask at the same outlets - they will normally cut to size for you.

Mine is made from safety glass (cabinet), like a car windscreen. I know 'cos the idiot plumber dropped one and it took hours to sweep up all the tiny bits of glass.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to cut safety glass of that type, as it is tempered after sizing and any attempt to cut it results in the whole thing shattering.

Can be done with laminated glass, though.

Yes.  Just for future reference, it scores just like ordinary glass, but there is a spectacular explosion of glass when you apply pressure along the mark!  [:D]  Polycarbonate is another alternative - I don't think it's much different in price.

I'm sure the Mods will forgive me for going slightly off topic.

Being a practical sort of bloke, there aren't many things to do with engineering and building work that I haven't tackled at some time......................little success with glass cutting, though. Even though I did sport out and buy a diamond cutter.

It has always amazed me to watch glaziers chucking large sheets of glass around with gay abandon. Whiz the cutting tool along a line to score one tap and cut.

One of my major clients is a large glazing company: I love to watch their guys making leadlights.

Now if I put a gas blowlamp near the glass it would shatter into ten thousand pieces!

I have no problems with lead: used to be able to wipe a joint and also used to be a demon at lead filling car bodies. But I guarantee if I tried to solder in leadlight bits...........................[6].