Door sizes in france

londoneye

Hi all

We need to buy some front doors - sizes shown in brico depot are 215 x 90.   However we dont actually need the doors yet, but we do need to know what size hole to knock in the barn wall in order to instal said doors.

I am not convinced that above is the overall size of the door as purchased with frame, or whether above is the door opening size?    Brico depot catalogue explains how to order correct size windows but doesnt say anything about doors.  Does anyone know what the total dimensions of a purchased door would be - i hope this makes some kind of sense?

I seem to remember getting a leaflet from a brico place, maybe Lapeyre, that showed how to work out all this sort of stuff, No only what size what one needs to go into what size hole. It also explained how to ask for which side doors open to and in which direction.

If you are planning to source from Brico Depot I would suggest you buy the doors now and store them - BD will quite possibly change the line before you come to fit if you are planning an extended project. Alternatively BD will let you measure doors in stock to get the exact size if your timescale isn't too long.

just to digress on door sizes.Our last life new house in UK,had UK "metric" internal doors as standard-what a poxy job it was to either get furniture in,or replace doors-they are narrower than standard uk door,but higher?No one could explain this most stupid idea,and the builder was a national name to boot.Also found the kithen units to be narrower than standard,so washer and cooker stood proud.Not something I would have thought on measuring THEN-definately would now.Glad to get rid!!

Maude

thanks - when i say not now, i mean - not today !! but we will be buying within next couple of weeks.

You have me worried though, as we have bought several windows and will need quite a few more (the same of course !).      They are the standard double frontage windows; could they change the line on these do you think or are windows different ? (sorry they are the cheap wooden ones).