EDF

Had the electric meter read last week. Bloke

said there was a problem with our meter and needed replacing. Another

bloke came today and replaced it. Apparently we've been on night time

rates for the past 18 months! Shame it has to end though.

One question, will EDF back charge us? We pay direct debit and are well in credit, so if they do it won't hit us hard, but will it happen?

Ours had to be replaced within 3 months of moving in - I'd noticed that the meter hadn't changed from the previous owner's reading & decided that I'd have to come clean sooner or later.

The engineer came out and announced that it was "Fourmis" - apparently a common problem.

No comeback on the reading - we started from scratch.  "Our problem, not yours", said the engineer.

You'll almost certainly be OK - apart from anything else, how could they arrive at a figure for higher rate consumption?

I think maybe they will estimate your day time useage and send you a bill, we had the same problem with our meter; but the other way around no night time usage showing on the meter, they sent us a refund.

[quote user="Gardian"]

Ours had to be replaced within 3 months of moving in - I'd noticed that the meter hadn't changed from the previous owner's reading & decided that I'd have to come clean sooner or later.

The engineer came out and announced that it was "Fourmis" - apparently a common problem.

No comeback on the reading - we started from scratch.  "Our problem, not yours", said the engineer.

You'll almost certainly be OK - apart from anything else, how could they arrive at a figure for higher rate consumption?

[/quote]

We had similar - I even managed to understand the whole phone conversation in which it was explained to me!

Couldn't agree a time when they could come and look at it, as they won't make appointments five weeks in advance, maximum four...

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]Had the electric meter read last week. Bloke said there was a problem with our meter and needed replacing. Another bloke came today and replaced it. Apparently we've been on night time rates for the past 18 months! Shame it has to end though.

One question, will EDF back charge us? We pay direct debit and are well in credit, so if they do it won't hit us hard, but will it happen?
[/quote]

In theory they can (when you took the service, you agreed to pay for the electricity you used). In practice? Unlikely.

Thanks for the replies. That's a relief.

Ironically EDF had been to our home 3 times before last weeks reading. First time was to connect our electrics, second time was to up us to 9kw. I was told then that there was a problem with the meter and that someone would be out to repair it. No one came. And then the third time was for the first meter check last summer where I was told that there was a problem with the meter and that someone would come and repair it, again noone came. So EDF have had plenty of opportunity to fix it sooner.

When the bloke came to finally repair it yesterday, and told me what the problem exactly was, I told him to go (jokingly of course).