Niceties of planning

BIG MAC

We are currently producing plans for the conversion of our village house.

The modifications we propose will not change the character of the house to much apart from the inclusion of some dormer windows and timbe garage doors to the front. We do plan some pretty rdical stuff for round the back including a mezzaninein the adjoining hangar, a completely glazed curtain wall to allow the original trusses to be enjoyed rather than clad or hidden away. Conversion of our cave into a large kitchen and our woodshed into a garage with three bedrooms above. What I thought before we start is get proper drawings properly annotated in French pop them accross to the mayor and see what he thinks before we even submit them for planning. Would the French take this as trying to buck the system when all we are trying to do is make sure the plans we put forward have already been discussed / adjusted and agreed in principle before formal application?

Good idea, it can do no harm. You may want to go to the DDE as well. It looks as if the total habitable area including the new bit will take you over 170 m2 so you will need to submit plans prepared by an architect registered in France. Said architect MAY be willing to sign off plans drawn up by A.N. Other but unlikely, ours refused.

John

not

Hi Iceni,

I was unware of the 170m 2 rule, is that overall or can you deduct hallways and wcs etc?

I work as a contracts manage for a loss adjuster with an affiliate company in France so may be able to wangle a secondment once my French speaking is better.

We are doing layouts and calcs for electric installation adpossibly U values also not sure if they are needed but it may be good to demontrate that we have gone by the Normes?

Can you deduct hallways and wcs etc?

No.

It includes all rooms and corridors.  Also bear in mind that the area of the building is measured externally. You can deduct areas where the headroom is less than 1.8 metres, and garages. You can also extract the missing floor area caused by the void for a staircase.

Hi Hugh,

Presumably yu are saying that cosing off the eaves at the 1800mm mark then using the area behind as storage is your recommendation?

I can't find a tax bill at the moment but we will be going from about 100 m2 to  nearly 400m2 of living area!

I was going to make rooms en-suite and make a few corridors and a stair well turret as the previous owner told me tat tax is not paid on WCs and corridors / hallways.

Guess the maire will be able to point me in the right direction...

If your m² habitable is going up that much then you need to get permission. This may or may not be granted depending on local rules. I reckon that an architect would need to draw up such plans too.

A good idea to have a word at the Mairie and DDE before doing much more.

I'm sure that I remember somebody saying something about some areas having limits on house size in relation to the property area (garden, etc.) - thus it would definitely be worth checking as if this is the case there may be no way it would be allowed (ignoring any aspects of "in character", etc. but just on plain local development regulations.

Don't take this as a negative as I am not speaking from personal knowledge here but something I'm sure I have seen somewhere and applies only to some areas. Others may know more.

Ian

Hi Hugh,

Presumably yu are saying that cosing off the eaves at the 1800mm mark then using the area behind as storage is your recommendation?

I can't find a tax bill at the moment but we will be going from about 100 m2 to  nearly 400m2 of living area!

I was going to make rooms en-suite and make a few corridors and a stair well turret as the previous owner told me tat tax is not paid on WCs and corridors / hallways.

Guess the maire will be able to point me in the right direction...

Hey big mac, if thats the case then i'm putting a toilet in each room of my house......no tax to pay  [:D]