Insulation Query

Aitch

I need insulation to go between the beams in our downstairs main room. It previously had polystyrene inserts filling the air gap and was covered by what looked like chipboard (as opposed to plasterboard), but I have seen what looks like insulation +pasterboard combined which can be cut to length and depth. Does anybody know its correct name, what it is  and the best place to obtain it?

Thanks

Aitch

"Placo isolant" plus the type of insulation, I'd guess. I'd recommend laine de roche (rockwool) but is available with polystyrene - really meant for walls, as it can be glued onto an existing surface or fibreglass.

Get it from any decent builders merchant or BricoDepot(!), bloody expensive, though.

You could just stuff fibreglass between the beams & plasterboard...

Thanks for all the input so far. The photo from Dave and Olive explains the similar type of position I want to be in when it's finished, but my beams are also a litlle curved like Nick's, both horizontally and vertically. I need to fill the greater gap beacuse the new wiring is also going to be covered. I notice in the photo there is  fabricated steel channelling. Where does one get that? It would solve a lot of my problems as opposed to me using battens. By the way what type of paint (black) is best used on the exposed beams when the job is finished?