Concrete Stairs - hiding of!

Froggy Lou

We're nearly at the end of a complete renovation of our maison nantaise and shortly will tackle the stairwell area.  The steps are concrete and I really want to make them more attractive as they open out into our new lounge.  Carpeting seems the answer and we've had a devis of E600 for the purchase and fitting of a jute coverting suitable for stairs (15 treads).  Before we go with this option are there any others we can consider?

[quote user="Froggy Lou"]We're nearly at the end of a complete renovation of our maison nantaise and shortly will tackle the stairwell area.  The steps are concrete and I really want to make them more attractive as they open out into our new lounge.  Carpeting seems the answer and we've had a devis of E600 for the purchase and fitting of a jute coverting suitable for stairs (15 treads).  Before we go with this option are there any others we can consider?[/quote]

Hi Froggy Lou,

In a older residential property it is virtually unheard of to have internal concrete stairs, (except of course a block of flats where the common stairs are usually concrete or a modern house in Spain) I would be interested to know what was the application  for your concrete stairs.

Kind regards,

Leo

[quote user="Froggy Lou"]

The house is approx 45 yrs old and the ground floor consisted of a garage and then various other 'rooms'.   The stairs open out into the garage which is now the lounge.[/quote]

Ahhh! Light begins to dawn - was the present ground floor the sous-sol before you renovated?

Sue

Yes, I agree with you, carpet is not a great idea, it's just difficult to come up with others - the tiling idea doesn't really appeal - I'm keen to avoid anything too hard as I have young children.  I'm a bit worried about how noisy and durable anything wooden would be but it's worth exploring.

[quote user="Froggy Lou"]I'm keen to avoid anything too hard as I have young children.  I'm a bit worried about how noisy and durable anything wooden would be but it's worth exploring.[/quote]

We have a wooden staircase going up to the first floor from our open-plan living area and it has survived its first 12 years seemingly unscathed. People who visit comment on how attractive the stairs are and they do seem to be very practical. I suppose they could be noisy if heavy shoes were being worn. We don't have children - well we do, but as they are grown up they don't live with us - but the previous occupants had 2 children so I reckon our stairs have seen quite a lot of use over the period - they are definitely warmer and softer than tiles!

Sue

We had exactly the same thing in our house - the concrete stairs were the most hideous thing in it along with a huge metal bannister. But it was solid, very solid, so we decided to put wooden treads over it. Amazingly I found a whole staircase in the skip at our local dechetterie which was almost exactly the same width and had almost enough treads, so that's what we used. All I did was drill into the concrete through the wood and rawlplugged and screwed them down. The result is a softer, solid oak reclaimed staircase. Far far better than the concrete one before and as it's fixed to the concrete stairs, it's not at all noisy. Maybe the odd creak, but that sounds better than a hard 'concretey' sound!