Laying floor tiles under stud wall

chocccie

Hi folks

I'm about to tile a ground floor room and I was going to tile the whole room, and then put up a stud wall over it.  This is to make a neater edge and to save time on cutting tiles.

But something in telling me not to!  Is this a daft idea?  I'm thinking of people walking about in the room above and putting weight on the stud wall causing tiles to crack.  Or is that daft thinking?  Is the weight above spread evenly and wouldn't give me problems?

What would you do?

Cheers [:)]

I am certainly not an expert, but I would think that provided the floor tiles were laid properly and securely it should not prove to be a problem. Certainly, if you are laying onto a solid floor I cannot see that cracking would be caused by the weight of the stud wall. If you are tiling onto a wood floor - using MDF/thick plywood or other sheets of material over the floorboards - there might be a little give in the floor I suppose but since people often tile bathrooms and kitchens onto wood floor it must be possible.

Worst case scenario if one does crack is to knok it out and cut a replacement tile to fit - so keep some spares.#

Andy

Just ensure that you fix a good base stringer right along the floor, laterally, and use decent frame fixings which go through the tiles and into the substrate.

That should spread the load nicely and prevent any lateral movement of the studwork.

That's what I would do, anyway.

It would be a bonus if the stud base-plate was fixed in a line of the tile joints but as that chance is fairly slim ,make sure you don't skimp on the adhesive where the wall is going otherwise when you drill and plug plate the tiles MIGHT crack. You might also be giving yourself  a noise problem?

Regards.

I have done exactly as you have described above, in my case I didnt have a firm substrate as I was tiling over old carrelage laid on sand on bare earth.

I was a bit concerned drilling through the rail into the tile on tile substrate with an SDS drill but all was OK, the fixings (hammerdrive) were not great and the rail wobbled a bit but was very firm when boarded and will be even firmer when I fit the tile plinths.

It makes for much neater and quicker tiling and I will definitely do it again.

good luck

Why not put your stud wall up first? Tile up to the sole plate of the studwork and when the skirting board is fitted at the end of the project you will have the neat edge you require.

If you tile the whole area first there is allways a chance that when drilling the fixing holes for the sole plate you may crack a tile especialy if the line of the plate runs parallel to the edge of of the tiles.