Wood Burner - Cast Iron or Steel

Lindnarden

Hmmmm.

If you want my opinion (and why would you!?), it is hideous. Looks like something out of Blakes 7 (or Dr Who or Lost in Space - the original TV series, not that awful movie with Joey Tribiani. Actually, didn't they have the same robot in LisS and Forbidden Planet? Reminds me of that, I must say.).

That glass is going to cost a fortune when you break it.

It is obviously cast something. Does anyone cast iron any more?

Top brand, though.

How much is it? If it is a pricey as I'd expect, pay me the money & I'll come and rub you and the missus with hot towels all winter.

I think we have overdosed on rustic charm since living in France - time for a change (it actually looks  a lot better in the flesh, as it were). The main concern is the 14kw......

It's about €1,000 give or take.... finding someone to install it is a different matter. Thanks for the offer re towels, we've never met but I'm guessing I'd rather hug a smelly greyhound (nothing personal!)

I think it's actually rather nice.  But I would put it in a very modern, sleek and "designed" home... if that's what you've got I'm sure it will look wonderful. 

If not, then look at it with a fresh eye and picture it in your own home.... not for this year, or next... but in 5 years time.  It's a very powerful design - will you still like it in a few years time.

Cast iron has always been the superior material for stoves as it absorbes heat slowly and also dissipates slowly too, although there are different qualities of cast iron. Cast can crack, even the quality manufacturers can have stoves that crack from time to time, but this is infrequent.

Steel will not hold heat in the same way and dissipates heat quickly, but will not usually crack. But it can buckle and twist if not protected from the direct effects of the fire.

The fact that cast iron is still used several hundred years after it's first use in stoves probably says it all.

Jamie