space-blanket insulation

hoverfrog

Is it really necessary to join with the silver tape, or will butting up / overlapping be OK?

Oh, I'm stapling it to batterns on the wall, then I'm going to put more batterns (vertical to the 1st lot) then plasterboard... it's not like it's going to go anywhere, so how vital is it?

depends how efective you want it to be. all the recommendations specify using tape for the price of a couple of rolls of tape and a little more work might aswell do it properly. you will have piece of mind and will not have to worry about the edges deteriorating. the insulation will only be as effective as the quality of the installation.

[quote user="shimble"]just wondering why you find the product no good and what do you consider better? i prefer not to use fibre glass for various reasons but thats just me so ide be interested in your thoughts......[/quote]

Essentially because it doesn't work (in my experience). Others may have different, or the same, experiences.

If you won't use fibreglass, then I'd suggest rockwool. Both are significantly cheaper and an order of magnitude better (IMHO, of course).

I understand that Underwriters Laboratories are still refusing to certify these insulation materials because they are unhappy with the manufacturers claims.

We use a product called 'Airflex' which works out at about 10 euros a metre (HT) and find it extremely good but it does have to be fitted carefully. It is also essential that there is an air gap on both sides and it is sealed effectively at the eaves and gables. We used over 500 metres last year.

I'm using it behind the dry-lining so as not to lose too much space.

I need to dry-line anyway as the walls are so poor, so I'm not losing anything by putting the insulation in at the same time - apart from an extra set of batterns!

It's more to stop the heat from the sun (you can feel the heat radiating off the walls late into the evening after a sunny day) and hopefully to insulate a bit from the cold to stop the condensation.

I asked about the tape as the (ex) OH didn't use any doing other bits of the house, and now I'm in charge of renovations I was looking it up to see what I should be doing!