Whetstone for handsaw?

Mark

[quote user="Mark"]

Forgive my almost unforgivable naivity, but can I use my whetstone to sharpen handsaws, or is it just for non-serrated blades?

*runs for cover*

[/quote]

It's only for flat blades, Mark. If you hold one of your saws up and look along it's edge, you'll see that alternate teeth are SET at a slight angle, first one way, then the other. Now look at a side view, look closely at the teeth and note that each tooth has a point slightly forward, (unless it's  modern "Jet" saw), and it's THAT forwards point that has to be sharp.

The idea of the saw is that each tooth digs in and "planes" a fraction off the base of the cut, and since they are at a slight angle to each other, the cut is actually slightly wider than the blade, so the cut doesn't grip the blade, (unless the wood is wet etc).

You CAN sharpen a saw if you know what you're doing, a triangular file is the correct tool, and you can also buy a tool for setting the saw's teeth at the correct angle. I have one that belonged to my father.

If you're unsure, either buy a new "Jet" saw, (Jakpoint etc etc) which cuts in both directions, and is amazingly fast to use, or look around for someone who'll sharpen yours for you.

Personally, I'd buy a jet saw, they were £4.50 each from Screwfix last time I looked.

HTH

[quote user="Ford Anglia"][quote user="Mark"]

Forgive my almost unforgivable naivity, but can I use my whetstone to sharpen handsaws, or is it just for non-serrated blades?

*runs for cover*

[/quote]

Personally, I'd buy a jet saw, they were £4.50 each from Screwfix last time I looked.

HTH

[/quote]

Oh super, I'll do just that.

Thanks HTH/Ford Anglia

It takes a longish time to sharpen and set a hand saw too. If it's fairly new it could well have hardened teeth to boot and they are a swine to do.

Jet saw, good thinking!!

You can probably get them here too. I usually use an electrifical saw theses daze. Jig, circular, reciprocating, band. Too bloomin idle to push a saw back and forth [:-))]!

I have to admit that I have had a Nip saw for several years and I jst can't get on with it. Cross cut one side and rip on the other. My old 24 inch panel saw is the one that I really like. Oh, just realised that I have let the cat out of the bag! For fine cuts my 24 tpi tenon saw. Much better than the Jap stuf! May be OK if you make a BRRRRRRRRRRRR noise when you slide down a banister with a bare bum, but not for me???[kiss]

Something else that I have just got from Axminster is some 3/8" diameter rare earth magnets. I have used 2 to make a shoe for one of my smoothing planes. Hardboard frame to cover the shoe of the plane with side peices to hold it straight and 2 magnets, one at each end, to hold the board in place. Protection for the shoe and the blade for a few centimes. Good value. I will see how it photographs. My 14 inch Stanley doesn't need one. It is still in the original box from about 30 years ago!