Lime Pointing

londoneye

My arms have just recovered enough to consider pointing the other side of our barn now.    However, I have been researching temperature effects on lime pointing this morning.    Is it true that you just shouldn't do it at this time of year?   One site has said that lime pointing should not be started less than 6 weeks before the first frost appears.   We certainly have the first frosts here, although it is possible that we will get a run of slightly warmer night time weather at some point (if last year is anything to go by).

Does anyone have any advice on general principles for lime pointing aka temperature please ?

Just watch your drying times! If you intend to wire brush the product off for a decent finish, it is not always easy to gauge drying time and in some instances the next day can be too late. If you are using just lime and sand then drying times can be very prolonged in damp misty weather.

Yes, just lime and sand - if I can remember how to do it, as finished one side of barn months ago - currently looking for any excuse possible not to start other.    Will be ok once I get going.    Will watch the drying times - it will be almost as exciting as watching the washing dry (my other major task here)!

Thanks Punch, seriously I will probably only do a few hours each afternoon, as I am sure my pointers elbow will come back again pretty quickly, so hopefully nothing will have dried out too much by next morning, for brushing off; will just have to judge it by the weather as you say.

hello punch wondering if you could verify something for me i am having a disagreement on pointing methods on another french english site.....i work with a  stonemason with 30 years experience and we are currently repointing a house. we are using a weber product to do the joints. A lot of the stone is touching edge to edge and i have been told that in order for the joints to be long term effective the touching stone needs to be cisled (not sure of the spelling) but the touching stone is cut with a ciseau in order to create enough of a gap for the joint to hold. The disaggreement is that we should only use lime on the stone and that joints should not be opened on touching stone have...... you got any thoughts on this?

It's difficult to comment without seeing a picture of the stone . I'm not quite sure of the exact question you pose but I think I get the gist. Weber make two tyes of product - G and F . For smaller joints you the need the F which is finer than the G (which is more granular), and thus is better for larger joints. Most Pre bagged products have a lime content anyway.

All walls are different and the gaps will vary enormously so it would be impractical/ impossible to go over a whole wall chopping bits of stone away where they touch, although it would give a better key for the pointing mix if you do so wish to spend days doing this!  Pointing is a very hands on thing and the eventual result very much depends on the skills of the opêrative.

If there is not going to be enough gap between two stones for the product to stick I would lay it on a little thicker and then when you wire brush off, you can take it back to however far you want. It should be fine nough to leave no gaps between stones if done right.

thanks that answers my question it seems like we are doing it  as you suggest. I am spending lots of time on the preparation and the stones are the stones are being individually chopped back and yes it is going to take days if not weeks to do the whole house! ide like to think the result will be worth it and we wont need to worry about the joints cracking at the first frost ..... as we need to provide a ten year guarentee on all works.....at least we will not have to redo it in a couple of years....ps like your site shame your not a little bit nearer to me or i might apply for a job .....happy renovating