New electrical installations

oldgit72

Hi,

When a property has no existng supply or internal wiring, does the internal wiring have to be installed by an artisan or is it allowable for the owner to put in the wiring prior to  obtaining certification of conformance and subsequent connection? If so, can anyone recommend any publications/leaflets etc that give details of detailed current requirements that have to be met in order to obtain a certificate of conformance?

Thanks

For CONSUEL, see www.consuel.com which sheds a lot  more light on it. However, if you have got any sort of existing supply from EDF even if it feeds into a comedy mahagony and porcelain fuseboard, you can do rewiring yourself as long as you are only working downwind (?) of the Company disjoncteur, and approval by CONSUEL is not needed. However, PLEASE, stick to French norms, wires and equipment, and work to French colour coding (ha ha Ha HA see separate thread)

Heard anything about the forthcoming stipulation when one is selling a property, La G?

Apparently, a vendor will have to provide certificates of conformity in the same way one does already for lead and asbestos and of course, termites in the more Southerly climes.

When I read the outline somewhere, the cert of conformity sounded suspiciously like a Consuel certification!

Point I'm making is that even if one enjoys and extant supply from EDF and rewires around this, one might still need that all important test and conformity cert.

In the near future....................................

Anyone heard anything??

Been in place for over a year I believe in my region and has caused no problems to my knowledge.

The inspection highlights areas of non conformity to the current normes and is not as in depth as Consuel, i.e. the inspector is not going to do an earth resistance test (more the pity) or want to plumb the depths of your tableau, junction boxes. It is not a conformity certificate

I had a friend sell a very old property last year, the inspection not surprisingly listed many areas of non conformity to current normes which were accepted by the buyers as they knew that they were buying an old property.

There was no question that the seller would have to "put right" the non-conformities, why should there be? After all if the energy survey showed that the original (to my mind better) solid double brick wall is less efficient thermally than a modern parpaing one would anyone reasonably expect the owner to knock the house down and start again?

I can of course see that future UK buyers, ones that are not put off by the healthcare changes, are likely to be younger and perhaps more naive than the predominately older more experienced buyers up to now, if these same people were to use UK based handholding agents they might try to use the inspection in the same way that they would a survey on an old house in the UK to try to drive the price down.

Somehow I feel that in a few years I wont have as many French people asking me if I know any English people (pigeons!) that want to buy their house[:)]

[quote]

Heard anything about the forthcoming stipulation when one is selling a property, La G?

Apparently, a vendor will have to provide certificates of conformity

in the same way one does already for lead and asbestos and of course,

termites in the more Southerly climes.

[/quote]

this is also the case for LPG now since Nov 1st. If the LPG has ANY fixed pipework then it must have a test/certificate to verify it. We signed over our house early Nov and the vendor knew nothing about it, it was brought up by the Notaire. We decided at the signing that the vendor would come and remove it from the house after the sale as I only needed a LPG bottle which could be moved around while we renovate.

Bottles which are on a totally flexible pipe are not included apparently and it is only when the house is to be sold it needs the test/conformity as does the lead/asbestos