We have no Fosse Septique just a cistern in the garden

seashells

We have a village house in a small hamlet in the Lot (dept 46), we cannot install a Fosse Septique as there is not enough land on our property.  The current waste from the house runs into a concrete holding tank (Cistern) in the front garden (approx 25cubic metres).  This is covered by a raised manhole ( looks like a well).

We wish to separate the raw sewerage from grey water and need to install a tank to collect this and keep the current cistern for raw sewerage, which we know will have to be emptied periodically. We find the cistern filling at an alarming rate!!! and we have not even got a washing machine or dishwasher yet!!  A regular bath is also out of the question!  Help!!!  In the future we hope to install three further shower rooms in the converted barn attached to the main house.

We have no hope of mains drains as the commune is small & the rest of the hamlet seems to either have enough land for a fosse septique or runs a series of hose pipes down the lane!!!  As we do not wish to do this we would be grateful for any help or advice to solve this problem.

When we bought the property - the robbing estate agent said we could fit a fosse septique alongside the exsisting cistern and all grey water could collect in the cistern to water the garden with!  This is not true.

We have to get a solution for this problem, and hope anyone out there may have an answer.  We know that this system which in in place at the moment will have been fitted to lots of other houses in France - we are not the only ones!! So can anyone help please?

Seashells[8-)]

Firstly, you should talk to a fosse contractor about a suitable system. There probably is a solution for you, but it must conform to the latest standards. Without a septic system, you will never get permission to convert your barn.

If you have a 25,000L tank that is filling quickly, then you have another problem. Probably rainwater!

Totally agree with Nick. As usual!

There are small self-contained biodigesters systems out there which do not require a distribution field to dispose of the harmless effluent. However, I feel they still require a distribution field/filter bed in France, as the technology is relatively new.

The only other option is to try and find a nice kind neighbour who would allow the field to be, located on their spare land; for rent!

This was quite common; however the new regulations may well preclude this: I seem to think they do?

Failing that, the only possible solution would be a cess pit, located in your front garden, perhaps; friends have just such a solution, which was recently upgraded; however, this is an old and existing solution which may well not now be acceptable.

We are in the Lot exactly the same problem. Tried getting 'land' adjacent but the owner unwilling to help even after being requested by the Marie!

We are installing 1 of these with our Marie's blessing. Certain Marie's are 'qualified' to give their blessing on certain fosse solutions. Try talking to yours.

www.neve.fr

Please PM me and I can send further details

John

Hi Jxedwards

We have also been seaching for a soloution to the same problem as yours without success so i,d be very grateful if you would email me some details of your experience with the Topaze system. i.e cost, room required for installation, is it a local company doing the work and anything else you think might be useful.

Many thanks Gazza

Sadly, I do not have a solution to you problem, but I am pretty sure that there is one out there.

I was interested to know what this cistern thing looks like as we have just bought a property in France and there is a structure in the garden which looks like a raised square concrete slab, with a concrete post at each corner, and we have no idea what it is.  We do not know where the old cesspit or whatever is and I wondered if this structure was a cistern, like yours? Wondered if you had a photo of yours you could post, for info?

Good luck in finding a solution to your effluent problem soon.

• 2 weeks later...

With the same problem, lack of room, we have installed a Klargester BB system at our B&B - at 2Mx2M and disharging via a reed bed filter 2.5mx1m direct into the stream behind the house - we decided to be as "green" as possible. Our local Mayor was really helpful and said to be certain to choose a system which is tested and certified to the new European standards as the rules are changing next year, and the current rules allow an "innovative" system such as the klargester anyway. He warned us away from several of the French products such as the Neve topaze, the Oxy8, corail 10, Eparco compact etc as from next June the French regs are apparently going to an obligation of results at a level of 25/25 (whatever that means - but its about doubly as strict as the current regs!) - but apparently non of these french systems can be sure of managing it and are either not certified or have failed to get it.

Waste treatment systems certified CE and EN12566-3 are well above this new standard and Klar Environnement who are the French Distributors for Klargester (which are certified) give a results guarantee to this new spec - peace of mind! They also give a 15yr guarantee for the structure with 5yrs on parts. They were also really helpful and found us the installer for us who was great . . . . . they are really busy though, so sometimes they took a couple of days to get back to us. There are a couple of staff who speak English too which made it easier 

We are in Finistere Brittany, if anyone wants to visit, don't hesitate to ask! Its turned into a bit of a party piece, opening the lid on our new waste treatment plant and watching the wheels going slowly round . . . . .  

I take it you already have a cess pit which will likely already have a leach field whether neighbour likes it or not.

The poo will be munched by the anaerobic bacteria and the run off by a combination of aerobic and anaerobic bugs.

A chat with the neighbour pointing out that you already fertilise his land may be fruitful?

Not sure on the law in France re (Existing Installations) perhaps sneaking under the wire with an extensive repair to your cess pit (read chuck the Klargester / biodisc whatever inside it maybe?

Thanks for all information.  We have contacted Klargester as well as Neve & will look into both when we get back to France.

It is good to know about the new regs for next year - however we don't have anything to discharge waste into even after filtering (except the street!)  so we will still nedd to have the final 'bit' emptied at some stage I think!

We'd love to visit (!!) however you are a bit far away for a de-tour this time - perhaps another time if we don't get fixed up!

Thanks to all participants who have contributed to the original message - it's nice to know we're not alone!

Seashells[:)]

• 1 month later...
Fififi - Found your posting very useful. We are also in Finistere (Crozon Penisula) and we have a very similar problem - small space and very clay soil and so little drainage. We have been looking at the Eparco solution so your comment about the new regulations are very valuable. Would you mind telling me roughly what the system cost you to install?