Roof Problem - Flexotweal (spelling?)

Euromotorshop

We have recently moved into a new place in the south but been in France many years.

The house is around 1000m2 and we are renovating the upstairs. A burning question I have is about the roof.
Currently in the worst of storms, we have only one small leak (out of place tile). The rafters / main beams are in resonable condition, probably only 5 (rafters) in the roof need replacing.

When we renovate upstairs we will either put in a false ceiling or cover up all except the main beams. The house is about 120 years old.

Given the background, a couple of skilled people have still suggested we need to lay some flexotweal. Others have said (a view I share given the roof is 500m2!) if it doesn't leak there is no need for it. In an ideal world, yes flexotweal would be beneficial, but for one small leak and a roof in resonable condition?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Given that the roof only leaks slightly, it is obviously better to repair the tiling. However, if you are considering covering the rafters, in the longer term you need to be doubly sure of the soundness of the roof. Flexotuile and equivalents are fine, but as you mention,a strip and re-tile would be more costly.Without seeing the age and condition of tiles and roof and being a traditionalist roofer given the property is 120 yrs old and main carpentry is sound I would spend the money on making good the existing defective rafters and the tiling. Assess the overall condition, paying attention to any future condensation problems as regards ventilation for new ceilings. Check the state of the worst tiles and ease of replacement in case of future failure. Canal tiles are prone to slipping, but are easy to patch.Matching machine-mades can be difficult to source. Is the roof easily accessible for future repairs? If not, I would recommend installing a large enough Velux  - very cost effective for the diy roofer.Good luck.

Thanks for the advice.

Ours isn't clipped but the tiles are stacked up at least 3 high! And with only one small leak on a 500m2 roof I dont see any point in spending 50-60k? on putting flexotweal down. It's not as if it's in bad condition but certainly flexotweal has become more popular here - and it would add something to my roof but I dont see it as value at that price.

I'm sure there are many in similar positions.

• 4 months later...
As a roofer with 20 years experience, I've never heard of flexotweal, so unless it is something French I'd give it a miss. Personally I'd replace the broken tile and see what happens, if it doesn't leak you've got a winner. Jonboy

I am in the same boat as P.I want to convert my loft and so assumed that I needed a watertight layer under the tiles.Do I understand correctly that what you are all saying is that I dont need this ,even though I intend to insulate and plasterboard the underside of the roof.Would it be better to use conventional rockwool or celotex. I have plain flat roman tuiles if it makes any difference.

Cheers

Matt

It really depends on the state of the roof. If it is solid, in good condition, with no slippage and no leaks then there is nothing to stop you just going ahead and lining/insulation the underside and then plasterboarding it (make allowances for ventilation of the roof structure though).

BUT... if there are any existing faults then you are storing up problems for yourself. Once you have an interior ceiling (as above) it can be damned hard to find a small leak or a slipped tile: the stain on the plasterwork can be quite some distance - both vertically and horizontally - from the offending tile. A membrane lining helps keep the whole thing dry and (for some types of roofing) makes it wind-proof. I realised the value of wind-proofing when I went into my (UK) loft one evening to find a pile of dusty snow 3 ft in diameter and 2 ft high, blown in in a vortex where the main roof joined a hip !

p

• 1 year later...

Hi,

saw your posting re roof repairs etc and the link to the water proof substrate to take canal tiles.

Can you recommend any sources for self education witha view to managing and completing my own re roofing project?

am in Aude

Regards,

sebastian