Wood Burner - would it be worth it?

ali-cat

Our house was renovated around 17 years ago and has gas fired central heating which pretty effectively covers our heating and hot water requirements.  We also have an open fireplace with dog grate in the lounge which can be used but the previous owners told us that it is prone to smoking and fumes if the wood isn't stacked far enough back.  At the moment it isn't used and the open hearth is a bit draughty. 

We've been thinking about installing a wood burner in the fireplace.  Just to use to take the chill off during spring and autumn rather than using the radiators and also to 'cosy up' the lounge on winter evenings.  Having read all the treads on wood burners I'm beginning to think a wood burner might be the wrong solution.  Amongst other things I undertand that any tax rebates apply only to the first year of occupation (now in our second year) and that wood burners don't work efficiently in fireplaces?

Have I got the wrong end of the stick or would we be better off installing a gas or electric fire for the occasional use it will get?

Mr Cat

Open fires always cause draughts when lit because they pull air in to sustain the burning process and that air (applying sod's law) always comes from a colder place in the house, hence chilly draughts. They are extremely inefficient from a wood burnt = heat provided point of view and I would never have an open fire again.

If you don't want to use the hearth, place some form of capping in the chimney (inside the room) so that you don't get through draughts.

If you do want a woodburner, then only some models qualify for the tax rebate and they have to be fitted by a registered installer. If it works the same as rebates for solar heating etc, you submit your claim and invoice at the same time you make your tax return and either the amount is deducted from your tax bill or you get a cheque reimbursing you. There is, as far as I know, no requirement for the work to be done in your first year of residence here.

As to whether a woodburner will work efficiently in a fireplace, how big is the fireplace? You might need to go for an insert. We had an insert originally and I don't find them very efficient. You'd want to install a grating in the chimney breast (if you have one) so that the heat from around the insert and the chimney (not the flue gases - this is spare heat from the space around the metal conduit) can filter out into the room rather than being lost.

[quote user="nectarine"]I don't know which is more efficient but I can tell you - there is nothing as cosy as snuggling up in front of a proper fire.  Gas and central heating doesn't come anywhere near that .....[/quote]

Well, I love my woodburner but I love my sisters living flame gas fire too. It's so realistic that after 15 years I still chuck things on it, and it's a lot easier to control the heat then it is with a woodburner.

One issue with a gas fire for Mr and Mrs Cat would be visible pipes (no wooden floorboards to hide them in).

When I had an open fire it was excellent at removing all the warm air from the house.  You get the open fire going and it starts a good flow of air up the chimney and then sucks air in from the easier paths (e.g. the room).  This then sends all the existing warm air up the chimney and starts sucking more (cold) air in from outside which it can then warm and send up the chimney.  Of course it does radiate heat - which warms the air that is shortly afterwards sucked-up the chimney ....

I then got a good quality wood burning stove installed and it is fantastic.  Really heats the room well, no fumes, etc.  They are not cheap to buy/have installed but are excellent.  I suppose I am fortunate in having enough land with enough trees that I will never need to buy wood - so I cannot talk about running costs as mine is free for me.

Ian

I would suggest that a woodburner is not worth it just for occasional use.  Woodburners do generate quite a bit of work and, Mrs Cat, you might find the work too physically tiring.

You have to order the wood, unless you have your own like Deimos, you need to stack the wood, protect it from the weather, get the covering off it on a sunny day to air it and keep it dry.  Then you need to get the wood into the house.  You also need kindling (OH chops up bigger logs for this) and perhaps some pine cones to light the fire.  If you want to see nice flames, you need to clean the glass (OH cleans ours everyday) and you need to empty the ash tray and generally "keep on top" of the work.

Periodically, the chimney will need sweeping, either by you or by a ramoneur (spelling?)

For us, both our woodburner and bois-charbon oven are great.  I love shifting logs in the wheelbarrow because I now no longer go to the gym.  Also, we have no proper heating system as yet and we love the warm sitting-room and the warm kitchen.

I'd think carefully about installing one if you just want it occasionally when it's too chilly to sit around without any heat.  It would make better sense, IMO, just to get something easier and more "instant"

Thanks for all the comments and advice.  A woodburner wouldn't be too much work for Mrs Cat, Sweet 17, as one of the conditions would be that I'm the nominated wood burner maintenance guy.

No problems with exposed pipes Tresco as the existing gas tank is on the same side of the house and the gas fire would be piped through the wall at the back of the fire - as it was in our last house back in the UK.

I'm beginning to think that a wood burner would be like using  sledgehammer just for the occasional chilly night or for a little ambiance.  Still like the idea though!

Perhaps we will have a look around the local brico and see what else is on offer.

Regards

Mr Cat